Chapter 3: A Deal With The Devil.

CHAPTER THREE
A Deal With The Devil.

He wanted nothing more than to gouge his own eyes out. And that said alot; he once had to endure an entire hour's worth of listening to Calum drone on and on about some guy called Harry Potter.

He didn't know what was worse. A human woman stopping him in the middle of the street to preach about a man he knew all too well, or her young daughter swooping in to save the day.

Luke felt ill. It was as if somebody was taunting him with his own father, which sounded absolutely ridiculous but that's truly what it was. He felt like a teenager again, only now, Michael couldn't bail him out.

"Ma," the woman's daughter sighed. She looked young. Not much younger than Luke's new body, but young enough to link her to the Bible Preacher. "Come on. I don't think he's interested."

Luke knew she was trying to be quiet, but the red blush on her otherwise tanned skin proved that she knew he could hear her.

"It's... it's alright," he smiled awkwardly, hands still in his pockets, unsure of whether he should wave or do a handshake or simply just walk away.

He thought that he knew a lot about the humans until the time came when he actually had to interact with them, up close and personal. Now he felt like a deer in the headlights and had no idea how to act.

"Ma," the girl said, placing her hands gently on her mother's arms, "Why don't you go and get more flyers? There'll be a rush soon,"

The woman nodded, much too enthusiastically, before sending Luke a small smile and rushing to join her fellow campaigners at the booklet stand. He watched her with a slightly bemused expression. She was a believer in someone whose image would be forever tainted in the Devil's eyes.

"Sorry about that," the girl said, her voice a mumble, figure slumped. She was probably the first person he'd run into today who looked entirely drained of energy. "My mom's... she can be a bit much,"

"It's fine," Luke said. He knew a thing or two about having an overbearing parent.

"My dad's the same."

She smiled, pink lips turning upwards slightly in a way that he found himself paying much too close attention too. Then she reached a hand out for him to take, "I'm Sophie."

"Luci-" he paused quickly, realising his mistake. "Luke, I mean. Hemings... Way." he mumbled, trying to remember the various people he'd stumbled across back when he was in Heaven. For some reason, his mind went completely blank.

"Hemingway?" Sophie repeated, "Like the author?"

Luke let out a small, nervous laugh, "Uh, sure. That's just a nickname, though," he lied even further, "For..." he paused yet again, not exactly knowing where he was going with that statement.

"Hemmings."

"A nickname for your surname?"

Luke shrugged nonchalantly, "Sure."

She just smiled at him, intrigued yet not wanting to a nuisance by asking him even more questions. Sophie didn't want to waste anymore of his time than her and her mother already had. Men like him were usually very busy.