Chapter 11

C H A E Y O U N G

I couldn't breathe

I feel numb. It's the only word to describe how I'm feeling right now. The information Lisa and Jisoo said was too much and unexpected. I stare at the angel lying on the bed, breathing gently, gone from reality as she slumbers.

I was hurting, suffering from a great pain that words, screams, and tears were not enough. All this time, Ruby Jane was Jennie. My Jennie.

I knew something was off when I laid my eyes on her the first time we met. When Jisoo brought her here, my heart was uncontrollably beating fast. The demons I've been fighting if it was her or someone else.

I reached my trembling hand to hers. I grip it tightly as I take a deep breath. I didn't want to break down again despite knowing she was with me. An uneasy feeling clouded my thoughts and feelings. A feeling that I couldn't be happy. Because what would happen next? Just that thought frightens me.

"H-How?" I managed to ask. I was growing tired of everything. What is the world trying to do with my life?

"Jennie's current wife, Park Sooyoung, was once married to your cousin. It must have had a connection between all four of you."

"Do you think Chanyeol planned my scandal?" I asked Lisa, who was standing beside the door.

"It's hard to determine knowing many people are involved. Someone planned it. And I'm worried about both of you. We'll try to find more information from Jisoo's brother."

~~~

An hour later, Ruby Jane woke up. I went beside her and held her hand.

"How are you feeling?" I asked when she started to open her eyes, adjusting.

"What happened?"

"You fainted," Jisoo answers while Ruby Jane can only nod.

"What was the last thing you remembered?"

"I don't remember much. The last thing I remembered was Jisoo and me separating ways as we came inside the mansion to look for you guys."

My poor wifey. How could they do this to you?

It was clear to say that it was all because of me. If I weren't that easy to destroy, they'd come after my wife. I clenched my hands at the thought of Chanyeol. He was part of this, and I can't wait to beat the hell out of him.

It's true how Chanyeol and I never get along. But that doesn't mean we hate each other. We were always minding our own business and didn't interfere with what we had. A lot of things don't make sense. Why would he do this? He never was the kind of person who likes to handle a company. He would most like to live away from work and find peace. Or has he fooled me all this time?

"Chaeyoung?" I hear Ruby Jane calling my name weakly. I look at her, waiting for what she has to say. "Stop calling me Jennie," She says, and I felt my mind going blank. "I'm Ruby Jane. I thought we had it clear?"

I bit my lip. Right, she's married to someone. She's been living as Ruby Jane for the past three years. "Sorry, I got carried away again," I explained, and she could only nod and close her eyes.

Once she had fallen asleep, I went out of the room to breathe. I felt suffocated in that room.

"Chaeyoung!" I heard Lisa following after me. I sat on the couch as I tried to calm down while Lisa could only keep quiet and sat beside me.

"Don't even think about going to Chanyeol," She says, and I could only sigh.

"I need to,"

"Look, you'll only get yourself in trouble. If you show yourself there, your parents won't like it." She pleads while I can only shake my head.

"I'll only talk with Chanyeol, okay? Trust me. I won't beat him up,"

Lisa sighed back, "I hope you wouldn't. You know how aggressive Chanyeol can be."

I nodded; I didn't want any fight. I want to talk to him. I'm dying to know what he says, and I can't help but wonder.

~~~

The next day, Ruby Jane was well-rested, and we were back to normal, somehow. I was still bothered by the fact that she was Jennie. She dyed her hair back black, which is making me even crazier. I want to hug, kiss, hold, and tell her that it'll be alright. But I just can't.

I was playing the piano for peace of mind when my door opened. It was her. Knowing that this was her, I couldn't help but feel awkward. I'm afraid to say something wrong. I'm worried about triggering a memory because it'll only hurt.

"Hey," She softly says as she sits on the couch.

What was she doing here? Ever since she woke up, I've become distant. "Is there something you need?" I ask.

"I just wanna ask if..." She stops as she hesitates. I kept myself silent, waiting for her word. "If we've known each other before."

I felt a lump in my throat. What should I say? I sighed before answering. "Yeah,"

"How come you never told me?" She asks with eyes mixed with emotions. Was it anger? Or disappointment?

"Because you look different with blonde hair, and I don't call you Ruby Jane," I lied. I had to. There are still things I need to understand. And it's better this way.

"I used to call you Love," This endearment, however, is true.

"Love?"

I smiled sadly as I started playing the piano. "Because in love,"

L is for the way you look at me

O is for the only one I see

V is very, very extraordinary

E is even more than anyone that you adore can

"Were we in a relationship before?" She asks, and I notice tears threatening to fall.

Yes,

"No," I answered, and she furrowed her eyebrows. "Let's say we used to go to the same university in high school. We got closer, and then poof, lost connection."

"Thank you, at least I could get some questions answered." She smiled and left.

I gave a deep sigh. I lied to her. This is to keep her safe, right? At least not now. Just then, Lisa and Jisoo came inside once Ruby had left.

"Why would you lie to her?"

"If I tell her, things will only get complicated."

"What are your plans now?"

I sigh, "I'll have a word with Chanyeol. Find out the connection he has with Jennie's wife."

Without a choice, they both nod. It was then decided that Lisa, Jisoo, and Ruby Jane would stay here while I went to Korea. They didn't want to agree initially, but I told them I'd take BamBam and Namjoon, Jisoo's second sibling.

Jennie, my love, let me fix this mess.

=====

I'll see you in the next update!

I apologize for the errors.