Chapter Three

The oak doors that lead to my sleeping quarters open and Harper's and my friends walk in formally - expecting an unknown visitor - but when they see me they drop the facade and run into my arms as I stand up. They were taller than me so when they straightened their backs, they lifted me off the ground.

"Willow! You're here, you're really here!"
I smile at my friends, we have been close since we were children since their mother was close with ours.

"I am, I really am here."
We laughed and talked after settling down in the sitting room. They informed me of all in information relevant for the Season until I notice the shadows in the southern gardens changing.

"Harper, where are the stables?"

She laughs,
"I knew this question was coming, if you leave from the entrance you will see the building that rests against the golden gates, on the western side is where Vesper was probably placed."

"Thank you!"
I embrace my sister and kiss her forehead before rushing to my trunks to get changed, my friends chuckling at my eagerness.

I remove my dress and under dress, replacing it with a pair of robust but loose breeches that were the colour of the sky and a long sleeved, slightly tightened, white tunic. I put on my riding boots and start to run through the palace before running through the courtyard and toward the stables where Vesper is already whinnying as he notices me.

I open the stable doors and the smell of horses and hay envelopes me. I look around, taking in the sight of the royal stables before walking in and closing the door behind me. The building has about two dozen wooden stables in front of me with the stone walls on my left and right covered in tack and equipment. There are open doors at both ends, the one on the right revealing another two dozen stables across from the golden gates that guard the entrance to the courtyard. The door on the left reveals a sand arena and the western forest.

All horses have an open window in their stall which makes pungent smell weaker and reveals the life behind the golden gates which are huge green fields. I whistle gently, gaining every stable hands' attention along with Vesper's. He whinnies and I open the stable door, he then lifts his front hoof, which I put a foot on before pushing myself onto his back.

I gather his mane into my hands and he walks forward, taking large steps as everyone moves out of his path and stares at the small girl who sits astride on the giant untamed stallion, without bridle or saddle and not wearing a dress nor proper riding breeches.

We ride to the left where the arena is and canter through the sand before leaping over the fence and riding through the forest which has a few bridle paths to choose from. We weave around the trees and jump over bushes until we arrive at a lake where it is almost silent. 

Quiet. Calm. No one else there. When I dismount, Vesper walks into the lake, drinking and cooling his heated body.

I run my fingers through my windswept hair, the braid that was so carefully done fully discarded. I sigh, the quiet calming my adrenaline filled mind. I smile and my eyes close. I have always loved the quiet and especially when nature was around me. I relax my muscles and my torso breathes fully, the fabric from the dress gone and replaced with a breathable tunic. I settle to the ground and listen to nature's voice.

The breeze ruffling the green leaves, causing ripples in the lake, blowing hair from my face. Birds twitter from branches and squirrels and other animals scavenge around the forest. Vesper's powerful legs push against the water as he walks towards me.

When he is standing behind me, he lies down and drops his muzzle to ground, slowly closing his eyes as I start to draw patterns on his neck and withers.