Chapter Five

I leave the stables before Sir Bash, walking across to the western stables once more to give Vesper one more sugar cube. I then walk across the small entrance gardens and the courtyard quickly since the darkness brought a cold breeze with it. Inside, I look at all the paintings around and focus on the small details around me before I reach my sister's suite.

When I open the doors, they are all sitting on the couch, conversing about the dinner. When I close the door behind me they look up and Harper smiles,

"Willow, you need to stop disappearing. I need my third lady in waiting."

I smile, rolling my eyes before walking over to kiss her cheek,

"I know, I was in the stables and returned as fast as I could. How was the dinner?"

"It was marvellous, so regal, so majestic and the royal family is so nice. I must say that Crown Prince Daniel is quite charming. Not that I can say the same about his brooding brother. He has the appearance of an angel but the character of a silent demon - he scowls at everyone and doesn't say a word. Not to mention he had the audacity to retire early without even saying goodnight."

My sister's voice almost becomes shrill with shock and I frown at the thought of that prince, which no one notices as the conversation starts again. My sister may act calm and reserved around nobles and royals, but in truth she is a talkative, manic girl who often misses minor details,

"Oh, and Prince Daniel told me to leave at least one dance on my dance card for us to do together at the Inaugural Ball, isn't that wonderful?"

"Yes, that is amazing. Did he say the same to any other debutante?"

She shakes her head and glows with happiness. She clutches her hands as she relives the moment, her eyes shining before rising, along with our friends and me,

"I best get some rest. You never know what the next day will throw at you in this palace."

We walk with her to her room and undo her hair, dress and corset before assisting her into her nightgown. When she lays in her bed we take our leave, closing her door and retiring to our sleeping quarters.

I undo my dress, replacing it with a pair of silk lounge breeches and a matching silk blouse. I tie my hair into a thick braid and settle into my bed, a book in hand.

Freya and Maya lay in their beds on either side of me and stare at me,
"Willow, aren't you going to rest now? You just travelled from home and rode Vesper, aren't you exhausted?"

I shake my head quietly before putting my book on the bed, my hand staying on the cover,
"I'm never too tired to read."

They laugh and I smile,
"Well, we will be getting some rest, as should you."

Freya says with a look before both of them blow out their candles and rest their eyes. I sigh and listen as their breathing evens out and they fall into their dreams, but I stay awake, as I do most of the night, every night.

Since mother's death and James'...situation, I haven't been able to sleep. Spending nights on end, reading books. I sit in bed and sigh. I am not going to gain any sleep tonight. So instead I get up and walk to the wall next to my bed; there hangs a tapestry and I saw the maid cast a look to it earlier, before leaving through the door. I change into a white tightened shirt, staying bare foot and putting on a loose cream knit coat that goes all the way to my knees. I then undo my braid and let my hair cascade down my back in a big wave of curls.

I pull the richly coloured and weighted fabric away to see a small wooden door, big enough for me to enter without crouching down. When I push it, it falls open revealing tall cold stone corridors, narrow and dark.

I climb in and start to wander about, not meeting a servant so late in the night. The little doors that are everywhere are all labelled with little plaques and it surprises me that there is a servant door to almost every room on every level, including the Royals, I must have wandered to the east wing.

I pass a small window, probably placed there to tell time in this darkness and see a sliver of light at the horizon when a servant door opens in the royal quarters. I start to worry, I'm not supposed to be here, I'm not supposed to wander around here. My panic ceases when the body that climbs in turns around after closing the door and reveals a familiar pair of blue eyes.

He stares at me, startled before grinning,
"I expected you at the stables. Have you gone on a search for me?"

I smile,
"No, sorry, I myself just came from my quarters. Where am I in this palace, I thought you lived elsewhere?"

He continues to smile, taking my bare hand and kissing it. Then he notices my attire,
"Why do you wear such clothing? Why do you not wear a riding dress?"

I look at my clothes,
"They are comfortable and wearing a dress means I cannot sit astride without it rising up my legs."

He nods, a small smile plastered on his face and starts to walk down a corridor,
"Come along, the stables are down this path."

"How come you walk through the secret corridors?"

"This is more mysterious and fun,"

He gives me a wink at which I giggle. We walk a while longer, conversing quietly until he stops at a big door with a plaque saying 'Courtyard'. He opens the door and a morning breeze caresses my body as we stand outside the palace, causing me to wrap my unbuttoned coat tightly around me.

I see the stables ahead of me, glowing with light from the candles. I smile and start running to Vesper with Bash close behind, laughing quietly at my antics. I greet Vesper after opening the doors and watch as Bash wraps his arms around Pegasus' long face lovingly, whispering into his ear.