Chapter 27 - The First Step

Pandora's P.O.V.

I expected it to be dark and gloomy inside like the way it was on the way there but light beamed down from a cloudless sky once we stepped through the entrance. The stark contrast in weather was amazing.

As we were led through the gates and into the main courtyard I could feel the stares. Countless people were gathered around, watching us like they were in some kind of exhibit and we were the main attraction. Most were in their human forms but a few walked around as wolves.

What was strange was what they had on. A few of the wolves and others were wearing some kind of green uniform. They all looked very dapper but what caught my eye was the symbol embedded on each one. It looked just like the one on Jonah after I made him into an Alpha.

Hmm....maybe they're related?

Whispers drifted through the air and echoed in my mind.

"It's truly her....the Adawolfa."

"Look at her hair....it's beautiful...."

"How do we know this isn't some farce cooked up Gideon and his father?!"

"She looks strong but the ones who walk with her are weak. She even brought a witch."

Without realizing it a growl escaped my mouth. The crowd gasped and stepped back.

Gideon looked back with concern, but relaxed as I felt a warm hand on my back.

"It's alright kid don't let them get to you. They're not the reason you're here." Mom said softly.

"Adalwolfa?" I heard Gideon call.

I realized I had stopped walking and trotted forward to catch up.

Those guys were high if they thought I would let them insult my friends and family like that, but Mom was right. I wasn't here to pick fights and brawling the moment I stepped in the door was more than enough to leave a bad impression with the guys we were meeting with.

Looking ahead I saw two and three story buildings, one after another lined up along a central street. The architecture looked Victorian with a few smaller Gothic ones mixed in. Considering the origin of werewolves it wasn't all that surprising but the care put into them made them all look new.

Some of the lower floors looked like shops with ornate signs hanging out in front of the entrances. A few of them....I hoped with every bit of me were some kind of joke.

Who knew that within that giant scary wall there was a beautiful place like this.

For about twenty minutes we continued walking closer and closer to the center of the compound.....or maybe city would be the best way to describe a place like that. It certainly was large enough. Hundreds of people came out of their houses and businesses to watch us make our way by. Most of them looked like soldiers.

We eventually reached the main doors of the largest building and they were at least four or five times taller than me. It's dark wood gave off a very ominous feeling but it made me excited at the same time. As Gideon approached the doors, they creaked open slowly as light spilled across us.

Gideon stalked in with long strides and I did the same.

The sight that greeted me was....in a word?......I guess "otherworldly" would be the best one.

The entrance hall was gigantic. Stories high and so long and wide you could barely see either side. Giant pillars on the left and right created a walkway leading to the end, but the stone they were carved from seemed to emit a strange hue that filled the space with a soft white light. Looking closer I could see the walls were covered in paintings and intricate carvings. Each one depicting different creatures and events you would only believe came from a storybook, but considering where I was....they all seemed like historic events. The detail and skill used in them  made it look like they were about to burst to life.