~Chapter 6

Johnny's PoV-

Could it only have been yesterday? No, it's been a year since I last sat down and watched a sunset. Sam and I are getting pretty serious now, and I'd like to make a big deal out of her seventeenth birthday. Only having a few days to plan, I decide Sodapop is the party person to talk to.   

"Hey, Soda, I have a question." I sit down on the floor next to Two-Bit who is watching Mickey Mouse for the thousandth time.

  "What's up?" He picks up the paper and glances at it before throwing it across the room disappointed. 

  "Sam's turning seventeen in three days and I want to make her feel special. I mean, things between us are getting serious and --" Before I could finish Soda interrupts me.

  "That's easy, Johnnyboy! Buy her an engagement ring! Things are serious, right? So buy it!" He picks me up, hands me a few bucks, and sends me on my way to the jeweler's. I want it to be special for her. I start walking and drop by my house to grab something to eat; luckily my folks aren't home. If I am remembering correctly, my mother threw her rings behind the couch while yelling at the old man. Carefully picking up the couch, so it doesn't scratch the hardwood, I search for the missing rings. I actually did find both of them and a little ring box that would be perfect since my mom never wears them except to throw at my father. I walk back over to the Curtis' house and watch TV with Two-bit.   

"Soda?" I can hear Darry come in, but since he isn't calling my name I don't turn to look at him. He shuffles past me into the kitchen, and I can hear his bedroom door close with a click. After a hour Darry comes out and begins to cook chocolate cake. I sit at the table drinking chocolate milk while I wait for my chocolate cake. I don't know how the Curtis' eat and drink so much chocolate without getting sick, but it's a real treat compared to home. After stuffing myself with cake and milk I follow Darry into the family room. It must be ten, I think looking over at Darry to see him reading the paper. When I go to bed I feel sick to my stomach from all the chocolate delights I ate earlier. My eyes flutter open when someone turns on the light in the bedroom I was sleeping in. 

  "Sorry." I hear them mumble before I close my eyes again. This time when I wake up I walk out into the kitchen and keep walking. No chocolate, I think, No more chocolate. I plop down on the couch and finally glance up at the clock. Two thirty. I peek through the blinds to determine whether or not if it was in the middle of the night. Afternoon for sure, I think. The sun's blinding to look at after sleeping through half the day. I don't bother getting dressed before I head to the lot. I sit there staring up into the sky picking out shapes in the clouds.

  "Hey, pj's." I let her giggle a little before I answer.

  "Hey, Sam." I stand up and cross to her.  

"Brought you something." She smiles and digs through her purse for a second before pulling out a package. I look at her funny then sit back down to open it.   

"Wow. Thanks, Sam." I unfold the jean jacket and try it on. A perfect fit. We hug again before she walks away; I decide that I better get something into my stomach before bed tonight. Once I'm inside I see Dally lying on the floor in a heap.

  "Dally?!" I scream running over to him.

  "Huh? Oh, hey, Johnnyboy." He tries to smile but winces. He has a nice black eye and bloody nose.

  "Tim Shepherd?' I ask wondering if he got into a fight with him again over money.

  "Yeah. I'll be fine tomorrow." I get him a Kleenex and some ice cubes before heading off to bed myself. I open my eyes remembering that today Sam is seventeen, and that I'm going to propose to her. Around noon I see people filing into the small house trying to get the best view of Sam opening her gifts. After she's opened all the gifts I go up to and ask her to stand. She looks puzzled but obeys.

  "Samantha, will you marry me?" I pull out the ring and present it to her. I smile hoping she'll say yes.

  "Yes." I see a few tears streak down her face as she laughs, smiles, and cries all at once. There's a gasp from the crowd around us, but I ignore them and give her a kiss on the lips then her cheek. I take her hand and wait for someone to criticize us, but no one speaks or moves a muscle. I'm in for it now, I think.

  "Hey, Johnny..." Soda walks up to us with a worried expression, hesitating on what to say next.   "You told me to if I was ready." I tell him feeling Sam's eyes watching us.

  "C-congrats..." He turns around and walks out of the house. Keeping her hand tight in mine, I walk past the crowd and out the door. I don't tell her where I am going, but she'll know once she sees it. I stop her on the corner of the lot, give her a kiss and leave her there. Leaving all the worry behind me. Not wanting to ever look back on the day no one would accept my marriage with the girl of my dreams.