Christmas

I didn't want to sound like the typical, cliche girl, but Christmas was genuinely my favorite time of the year. All of the Christmas lights, all of the sweets, all of the decorations...everything made me feel so warm and happy, I couldn't help it. People were nicer, while I was still bitter about a lot of things. The weather was cold, while my heart was colder. It was all amazing.

I was snuggled in an oversize Christmas sweater that once belonged to my father. I loved it when Sam and my dad passed down their clothes to me because it was an amazing feeling to be swallowed by a piece of clothing that could also be fashionable without trying.

I pulled my hair up into a messy bun, splitting my now long fringe across my forehead to make them look presentable and to give myself the option to actually see. I was in desperate need of a bang trim before I left for Lydia's on New Year's Eve.

With the help of a YouTube tutorial I was able to get down the easy steps of simple smokey eye, wanting a dramatic change for the dinner my dad was having at our house tonight.

Thanksgiving lunch was always at Luke's house, Christmas dinner was always at mine, and Easter all day was spent at Michael's. It really helped that all of our parents got along and looked forward to seeing each other. Of course, sometimes I felt as if Liz and Karen only tolerated Sienna for my sake, because their vibes were always off when Sienna was around. This year's Thanksgiving was a prime example. If I wasn't mistaken Karen was sending glares from across the table to Sienna the entire lunch.

It was really Sienna's fault. If she tried hard enough she could very well be a likable person, but, I mean, she would have to try extremely hard and we all knew she wasn't going to put in any kind of effort. The woman loved herself and she lived life thinking that was all she needed.

I sat on my bed, wrapping the last few gifts for everyone that I had bought. I wasn't the best at timely gift wrapping, I waited until the day of Christmas to wrap and by then it wasn't as exciting.

"Hey Sage." Ashton greeted, letting himself into my room.

He looked good in his all black outfit, topped with a leather jacket and his hair slicked back, a single curl falling forward over his forehead. It was truly a blessing for my eyes. I wonder why he didn't do his hair like this more often. It truly suited his features.

"You're early." I mentioned as I wrote down Luke's name on his gift. I bought him a new compact mirror since the one he typically carried around with him was the same one he has had since freshman year and then I bought a pullover sweater that he threw a tantrum over because he didn't have enough money to buy it right then and there. It was the most embarrassing thing to happen in a mall in front of other shoppers that were curious as to why the big man-child was having a mental breakdown in public.

"We came early because I wanted to give you your gift before the others got here." Ashton pulled out a tiny box wrapped in paper with my name on it. "And mum wanted to come help your dad with the meal preparations. She wants to feel closer to all the parents, work on getting some friends." He chuckled, handing me the box.

It worried me sometimes that Anne's life consisted of the hospital and her house only. Perhaps she had some doctor friends that kept her company during her long hours, but that wouldn't be enough to make her feel comfortable in Seattle. I mentioned that to my father and he was all about having Anne over for Christmas dinner so she could become acquainted with Karen and Liz. Truth was, he felt bad for Anne too.

"Why do you keep buying me gifts?" I thumbed the box, holding back a smile. "You know you don't have to get me anything ever."

First my birthday, now Christmas. I was being spoiled in some sort of odd way and it was rather pleasing.