Homecoming

"It's too much." I looked at myself in the mirror, turning to get different angles of myself in the soft pink dress that Michael and Luke had picked out for me. I wanted something that would blend in, in a crowd. Something black maybe. Something a little more undercover because pink felt too harsh to me and too out of place for me. But my friends insisted that I looked great in the dress and the only thing stopping me from buying it was myself because my mom gave me her credit card and told me to go crazy.

I had never seen myself in lace, so I automatically felt out of place in my own body. Lace brought an extra bit of feminists to me that I hadn't seen before. I was never too girly or too tomboy-ish, I was a good in between. And mom hated that. But right now I was living my best cheerleader life in this dress.

"It's perfect." Michael assured, running his palms over the tops of my shoulders to make sure the fabric was lying effortlessly on me. The dress was beautiful, I liked it, but I was sure I would've loved it on someone else. Like Elizabeth or Izzy, maybe even Lydia, who all wore cute things like this all the time. I was so out of place, even Ashton would ask me why I was wearing this.

"It's not me." I sighed. If I fought hard enough Michael would change his mind about going to homecoming. It was a possibility because him and Luke left the tags on their suits to return the next day because they also felt out of place. As soon as I began to irritate Michael with a negative attitude, he'd decide we were staying home and watching everyone's homecoming experiences through Instagram and Snapchat stories. Which was perfectly fine with me. That was how I lived everyday of high school until senior year. I never participated in anything and I didn't need to participate to feel like I was physically there. All I needed was a few pictures and some videos and I felt like I had lived everything firsthand.

"It's the new you." Michael smiled, handing over a pair of nude scrappy heels. "This is the new us."

I was curious to know how the pair put hair, makeup, and an outfit together. I wouldn't be surprised if they've had a Pinterest board dedicated to this makeover.

"I don't think I like the new Sage very much." I shook out the natural wave I had in my hair, noticing my half up do didn't move at all. I was secured with so many Bobby pins and way too much hairspray, but I liked not having the front bits of my hair in my face for a change.

Luke sat on my bed, tying his dress shoes for the fifth time to make sure they were tied securely. "It'll take some time to get used to her." He noted, trying to make me feel better. He was going to the dance with Ally. His tie matched her floral dress apparently and he washed his hair and styled it about six times because he wanted to look perfect for her. He wanted the perfect Instagram shot to make everyone jealous. I didn't think it would be hard.

Michael wasn't going with anyone because he couldn't find anyone he liked enough to go with and he automatically thought I was going with Ashton, but I wasn't sure yet. We hadn't spoken about that. I told Michael to take Evelyn since Calum was taking Elizabeth and Evelyn deserved to have a good time too and make Calum jealous.

I looked at myself in the mirror again. I wasn't made for the glam part of life. I wanted to be comfortable. I wanted to look like I moved with ease and never thought too much about my appearance, even if I was dying about it on the inside. I guess I wanted to appear confident with myself. I wanted to walk with the same poise as Elizabeth, look effortless like Sammy, and speak with pride like Veronica. Everything I wanted to be was not what I saw in the mirror. I looked like a fraud. Like someone who was trying really hard to fit in and be popular. I looked like someone who had a deal with her best friend to ruin a few lives and act like it was nothing at the end of the day.

"Screw her." I rolled my eyes, slipping on the shoes while holding onto Michael for balance.

"I'd do it again in a heartbeat." Michael smirked at me and shot me a wink.