Part 14: The Unlucky One

Start from the beginning

"We're not getting married right now. We have to wait anyway like a very long engagement," I say looking at Namjoon with a smile. 

"Plus we're both very sure of our feelings for each other so why not set our intentions clear?" He smiles back.

"As long as you're happy, we're happy." Yoongi gives us a reassuring look and all is well in the world. 

"Well damn, congratulations. I did see that coming by the way." Jin yells as he gets up from his chair to hug us while everyone else follows. 

"And you really don't mind waiting?" Hoseok asks after we're all back in our seats.

"If Aomame waited so long for Tengo, I can wait for Namjoon," I say looking at Namjoon who's smiling shyly. I look back at Hoseok and realize everyone is looking at me like some gibberish just came out of my mouth.

"Like in 1Q84, the book?" I say.

"Ugh they really are meant for each other," Tae says shaking his head.

"I'm going to have to start working on my best man's speech now so it's worthy of Kim Namjoon," Jin says.

"Wait, what makes you think you're going to be the best man? I'm closer to him so it should be me! Right?" Jimin looks at Namjoon with a childish grin.

"I've known him the longest so it's obviously me," Yoongi says not even looking up from his plate.

Namjoon reassures them they all going to be best men but Jin protests and they continue to bicker and tease each other as if they were a bunch of kids.

"Let's get out of here," Namjoon whispers. 

We only had a few hours before I had to go to my meeting then jump on the bus back home where ungraded homework patiently waited for me. We grabbed some coffee from the cafe and headed to the rooftop lounge. Yes, there is a rooftop lounge with a small garden, glass walls, and a breathtaking view of the city. I would've spent my whole day there if I could.

We sat on the L-shaped couch by the left corner. I kneeled on the couch to take a better look at the city behind us.

"Why didn't you bring me here sooner, this view...so beautiful,"

"This view right here is more beautiful," he said looking at me with wide innocent eyes.

"You know how cheesy that sounds?" I tease him.

"But you love it," he says, his mouth turning up into a devious grin.

"You're right, I love you," I whisper in his ear. Not gonna lie I wish I could shout it out to the world but as long Namjoon knows nothing else matters. 

..........................................................................................................................................................

Driver Lee drops me off at the station first. I have to leave my duffel bag in a locker room before meeting with the agent, going back to the dorm after would've been too much of a setback. 

"Call me as soon as you're done. I want to know everything." Namjoon says.

"But you'll be at practice, right?"

"Just call, okay?" 

I nod and kiss him goodbye.

The meeting with Mr. Roberts takes longer than I anticipated. We were talking for hours. Turns out he enjoyed my manuscript. Actually, he called it refreshing although it needed some fixes here and there. But that is all I needed to hear to walk out of that meeting skipping like a five-year-old.

I called Namjoon but he probably can't hear his phone in the midst of practicing so I leave him a voicemail.

Oh my god Joon, you were right. Mr. Roberts liked it. I'm sorry for doubting you and I'm so so grateful. Call me back when you're done, I don't care at what time. Love you!!

I start walking toward the bus station. On my way there I pass an electronics store with huge flat screens filling up the window displays with the same news channel on. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a familiar face and immediately backtrack. It's Namjoon!

The sound is muted so I can't understand what they're saying. The screen changes from the anchor to a series of pictures...pictures of us...from last night by the river.

I feel like the earth is shaking underneath my feet. I move out of the way and lean against a wall, Bang PD's words echoing through my mind.

All I need is that you keep this relationship out of the public's eye. Can you do that for me, Eleanor?

 I feel like I'm going to throw up. I call Namjoon again. Nothing. They must know already, right? Is that why he's not answering?

I call him again when I get to the station.

And again, when I arrive.

As I'm going up the stairs to my apartment, I feel the phone vibrate in my hand. A private number? I answer right away. 

"Hello?"

"Elle, it's me." His voice was low and tired. 

"Namjoon, thank god, I was so worried." 

"Elle, I'm so sorry," he cuts me off. "I probably won't be able to see you in a long time. Please don't," he pauses and clears his throat "Why did you sign that?" he pauses again and I'm unable to respond. Why did I sign that paper? Why was I so stupid?  

"Don't try to contact me. I'm sorry." 

The line cuts off and as if waiting for their cue, tears start raining down my cheeks.