12 Island of the Giant Pokémon

Start from the beginning

Wartortle helped me collect the five occupied Poké Balls. I summoned everyone to do a quick headcount. Butterfree, Charmander, Zubat, and Pidgeotto all stood in a line. "Plus Wartortle, that's five Pokémon. Six with this guy." I timidly stared at the sixth Poké Ball. "I hope I don't regret doing this." I tossed the Poké Ball.

The minute Gyarados emerged, he fired off a massive beam of energy from his mouth. I narrowly avoided being obliterated, unlike the trees to my immediate left. I faced my Pokémon and raised my hands. "Gyarados, it's alright! I'm sorry we attacked you before! You can stop attacking!"

Ignoring me, Gyarados fired off another attack. The sheer power knocked me off my feet. "Dex, please tell me you know what that move was!"

"Hyper Beam, an extremely powerful move. It contains so much power that the Pokémon who uses it must rest for a while afterwards."

I froze. "That powerful...?" When Gyarados roared again, I quickly called him back into the Poké Ball. A bit shaky, I then collapsed on the sand. "Okay, let's try some other time..."

The rest of my Pokémon gazed at me, hoping I didn't try that ever again. "Sorry! Well, why don't you guys get some rest for now?" I recalled everyone except Wartortle, who insisted on staying outside. "Fine. Just stay close. I don't want to lose anyone else today."

Wartortle looked around the beach.

I tapped a hand to my chin. "Let's see. Luxio and Pikachu are the only ones gone from the team. Ash and his crew are missing too, of course, but to be perfectly honest, I'd love to find my Pokémon before anything. So, where to start?"

It was silent for a while, trying to come up with a plan. Unfortunately, many questions circled my head, one more concerning than the rest. "Man, I don't even know if we all landed on the same island or not! Did they?!"

Suddenly, Wartortle tugged on my skirt. "Hmm? Did you find something?" He pointed off towards the water. A medium-sized pink Pokémon sat on a rock nearby, dipping its tail into the water. "Good eye, Wartortle! Maybe it can help us out. You think you can ask?" Wartortle jogged over to the Pokémon. "What is it though?"

From in my bag, Dex answered the call. "Slowpoke the Dopey Pokémon. Incredibly slow and sluggish, this Pokémon remains in a daze even when fishing with its tail, rather pleasant to chew on but not very nutritious. If something bites its tail, it won't even notice for a whole day."

I frowned. "What a Pokémon..."

Wartortle approached Slowpoke and greeted it with a friendly smile.

However, Slowpoke didn't respond.

Taking a second chance, Wartortle said hello again.

Slowpoke still didn't respond. It didn't move, speak, even turn its head to acknowledge his presence. It just sat there and remained in a daze, exactly like the Pokédex explained.

Getting desperate, I called, "Excuse me, Slowpoke!" When it didn't respond, I went over and crouched down, waving a hand in its face. "Hello? Can you even hear us?" Even though it had very large ears, Slowpoke still didn't reply. "I guess we chose the wrong Pokémon to ask for directions..."

I stepped away and turned to the rest of the island. "Let's just keep walking. Hopefully we'll find someone."

As we strolled along the beach, a gentle breeze flowed past us. Wartortle liked the feeling of his fluffy ears and tail being caught in the wind. He stepped over to the shoreline and danced in the water, a big smile appearing on his face. I smiled back, removing my shoes to dip my own toes into the water. "It is nice here, I a—COLD!!"