21. Team Bonding

"Kageyama-kun, did you do what I asked?" Sugawara asked in a whisper, and Kageyama shiftily looked around the gym before nodding.

"How long will Hinata-kun be distracted for?"

"We have maybe fifteen minutes max before the teacher stops lecturing him," Kageyama said gravely, and moved to sit cross-legged on the floor next to Yachi, the rest of the Karasuno volleyball club arranged in a loose semi-circle in front of the whiteboard.

Daichi was stood at the whiteboard, Kiyoko on the other side. Written in black marker pen in large writing was -

HINATA SHOUYOU PROTECTION SQUAD

Takeda stood to the side of the room, pinching the bridge of his nose, his glasses pushed to the top of his head and decided not to intervene.

The look alone on Asahi's face made him look like an attack dog ready to be unleashed at a single wrong word.

"It's nice to see them getting along," Ukai said cheerfully, slapping a hand on Takeda's back. "Even if it is over a strange reason."

"Not so strange I suppose," Takeda murmured. "When we were at the Tokyo Training Camp one of the players walked by Hinata and said 'there are a hundred and twenty-eight square metres of court but I'd still find myself directly next to you'. Hinata replied by saying that he wasn't allowed on their side of the net."

The gym went eerily silent as every member of the volleyball team turned to face Takeda at his words.

"Takeda-sensei," Daichi said pleasantly. "Could you repeat that?"

Ukai grinned, wide and mostly fake to try and not show how scared he was of an eighteen year old and slapped against Takeda's back again.

"Such a strange reason!"