12. Trip and Fall

"I'm really sorry," Hinata muttered again, for the umpteenth time, hands delicately holding onto the broad shoulders in front of him, his cheeks burning in a faint blush. "But you really didn't have to carry me."

"A leg injury should not be further exacerbated," Ushijima said gravely as he tightened his hands under Hinata's knees. "It could hamper your volleyball career."

"It shouldn't be what?"

"Made any worse by any undue pressure," Ushijima explained, almost gently.

"Honestly, it's not so bad," Hinata tried to placate. "It doesn't even hurt right now!" He tried to rotate his right ankle, hanging in the air as it was as he was piggy-backed, and couldn't stop the wince that crossed his face.

"You shouldn't walk on it until it has been properly seen to."

Hinata bit his bottom lip, flustered to the point of nearly embarrassed tears, his hands tightening slightly on Ushijima's shoulders. Tripping and falling was one thing. Having to be rescued was another.

"I'm really sorry."

"I am not," was replied firmly. "Had our paths not crossed, you would have been forced to find your own means of help."

"Y-Yeah, it was kinda lucky, huh?" Hinata mused, daring to rest his head on top of his knuckles, next to Ushijima's head. "But we met each other here before, right?"

"It is the usual route our volleyball team takes while exercising," Ushijima explained. "Currently, we are on our way back to the Academy."

"Eh?! You don't have to take me all that way! That's the opposite direction I need to go, Japan!"

Together as a group, the rest of the Shiratorizawa volleyball club followed slightly behind at a fast walk to keep up. While distracted by his current luggage, Ushijima hadn't demanded they run at the brutal pace he was used to setting.

Upon Hinata's words, Tendou burst into ugly laughter, having to take several steps to the side so he could double over and breathe.

"My name is not Japan," Ushijima said patiently. "I am Ushijima Wakatoshi."

"I know that," Hinata replied primly and Tendou laughed ever harder. "But you're number three in Japan. That's amazing." He lifted his head again to stare into the middle distance, eyes alight with wonder. "If I had that title, I wouldn't mind being called Japan."

"Ushijima is just fine."

"Third in Japan," Hinata whispered reverently, and lifted a hand to yawn into his palm briefly.

Ushijima remained silent, but shifted his hands under Hinata's knees again to keep him steady.

"Anyway, I really don't need to go all the way to your school, U-Ushijima-kun. I can just sit down somewhere until it's not as sore and go back home!"

Ushijima faltered slightly.

"You're not currently in training with your team?"

"Hmm? Not today. Nobody told me, so I made it all the way to the gym to find out no one was there! So I decided I'd just do some running by myself before going home, and I, uh, got…got kinda lost." Hinata blushed and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

Ushijima shook his head.

"In that case, with no one to tend to your ankle and knee, we will take care of it at our school and then you can go home. You live local?"

"I cycle here every day!" Hinata said proudly. "From Yukigaoka, half an hour. None of the schools there had any cool volleyball teams, and I really, really wanted to join Karasuno. I'm going to go to Nationals and be the next Small Giant!" In his excitement he pushed up on Ushijima's shoulders, straightening his body up and almost immediately lost his balance, tipping backwards.

"Safe!" Tendou cheered as he swooped in to catch Hinata's upper body, Ushijima still and rigid with the loss of weight from his back.

"Half an hour everyday huh? Twice. Must be why your calves look so good!" Tendou pushed Hinata upright and only removed his hands when Hinata was grasping tightly onto Ushijima's shoulders again.

"It helps with the running and jumping and the 'guwoah' and the 'fwish'!" Hinata explained enthusiastically and, interested in the conversation, Tendou fell into step next to Ushijima so he could talk easier to Hinata.

"I heard from our Mister Japan here that you have the same vertical jump as he has, with a run up?"

Hinata grinned widely, hands squeezing tighter in excitement at the thought of talking volleyball.

"My current record is three hundred and thirty five centimetres! Two centimetres higher than Asashi-kun!"

"What the fuck," Tendou muttered. "Are you part kangaroo?"

"Language, Satori," Ushijima rumbled warningly as they passed the entrance for the school, and he made a beeline for the gym.

"Sorry, sorry," Tendou sang, skipping ahead and turning so he was walking backwards, facing Ushijima and his little burden. "I was just impressed!"

"I'm going to get even better!" Hinata promised. "Even Bokuto-kun reckons I will!"

Ushijima jogged up the set of stairs into the gym, walking to the benches to the side and crouching down, waiting for Hinata who gently slid himself off, straight into the seat of the bench.

"Bokuto…Bokuto Kotarou?" Ushijima question as he turned, taking to a knee in front of Hinata so he could reach for Hinata's swollen ankle.

"Mmhmm!" Hinata smiled widely. "We met the other week. He's really cool! Ah, don't worry, Ushijima, you're really cool too, but I've got to beat you to go to Nationals!" He winced as Ushijima's large hands closed around his ankle, twisting it gently back and forth.

"Not broken," Ushijima said, deep in thought, eyes drifting up to Hinata's bloodied knee, which was already scabbing over. "But it isn't likely you will be able to cycle home on it."

"That's okay! My bag is back at school, I can call my mum and she'll come pick me up." Hinata made a move to stand, and Ushijima stood, pressing Hinata back down with a hand to his shoulder.

"The call can be made from here. Stay there. I will get the first aid kit."

"Ushijima-kun is actually quite nice, huh?" Hinata mused and Ushijima froze, hand still on Hinata's shoulder, still staring down at him, even as Hinata coyly tilted his head as if in question.

("Let's keep him," Tendou suggested in an exaggerated whisper.)

And that was forever known as the day Hinata broke Ushijima Wakatoshi.