20. Crush Him

"Ushijima-san, the look on your face is sort of...intimidating," Ohira said nervously, eyes flickering between Hinata on the other side of the net where Karasuno was celebrating Hinata's block, and his teammate.

"I agree for once, you big ol' ball of fluff you," Tendou weaselled his way into the conversation. "I can't tell if you want to fuck him or crush him! Poor Shouyou, either way."

"Tendou-senpai, language," Goshiki hissed, scandalised.

Ushijima slowly tilted his head and then rather decisively said, "Both."

Even Tendou was left gaping as Ushijima strode away with purpose to carry on with the match, eyes intensely watching Hinata.

Across the court Hinata shuddered and took a few steps back, unwilling to back down in the impromptu staring competition even as shivers ran down his spine.

---

"What's the matter with you?" Shirabu asked in a whisper as Goshiki came up towards the net, a faint blush to his cheeks, a stagger to his steps, and his eyes far away.

"It's hard to explain," Goshiki mumbled back.

"He accidentally envisioned Wakatoshi naked," Tendou bluntly interjected. "And by proxy of the conversation, Karasuno's delightful number ten naked, too."

"Next time I won't ask," Shirabu muttered.

---

"Hayato," Ushijima said gravely, and the libero tilted his head in question.

"Yeah, Ushijima-kun?"

"How much does it hurt to receive a block with your face?"

Yamagata blinked rapidly for a moment, and let his eyes follow Ushijima's gaze to Hinata, who now that the staring competition had broken, was rubbing his face with a wince.

"Their number three's spike is pretty powerful...so I would say it hurt quite a lot. If I'd taken a hit like that to face, I'm not sure I'd be able to carry on straight away."

"Do you think he will be okay?"

"Ushijima-kun, don't make it so obvious you want to crawl under the net and go after him, please."

Tendou crept up behind the two and whispered in Yamagata's ear, "Wakatoshi naked."

The resulting yelp and shriek from the libero was exactly what he was aiming for.

Of course, not even five minutes later Hinata was soft blocking Ushijima's spike as far from the net as he possibly could and it worked.

Yamagata felt it prudent to put a hand on Ushijima's elbow just in case he did decide to go across the court. Ushijima was coordinated, calm, competent but he was also impulsive and went after what he wanted. Yamagata felt that 'what he wanted' was Karasuno's number ten.

"You can't blame him, Hayato," Tendou sighed. "He's good at volleyball. That's kinda hot."

Ushijima's cutting look could have burned through steel, but Satori just smirked challengingly in return.

"How are you everywhere at once?!" Shirabu hissed and dragged Tendou away.

"I call dibs, Wakatoshi!" Tendou sang as he let himself be led across the court.