My descent into emotion

Y/N'S POV

My favorite places include my bed, my car, the woods, the river, and gas stations during the nighttime. If you can read, you would be able to see that nowhere on that list does the top of a giant fucking building make an appearance. Now that that has been cleared out of the way, at exactly 1:36 A.M., on Sunday, March 22nd, my toes were at the edge of the roof of an abandoned office building, vision whirling.

"James Euringer I swear to fucking God, if I make it down from here I'm gonna kill your ass!" I screamed, eyes fixated on the hard concrete hundreds of feet down. Somehow, Jimmy convinced me to scale the building, despite my insane fear of heights, and somehow, he convinced Gerard to go with me. Sure, I'd scaled buildings before, but usually smaller ones, like churches and schools, or large houses. Beside that, I hadn't done it in a while, and overshot my ability to handle my fear. Gerard didn't seem too bothered by the height though, so I felt less bad about him climbing with me. He just sort of walked along the edge, inspecting everything and enjoying the view.

"What god?" Jimmy called from the bottom.

"Wow, very edgy of you." I replied, sarcasm burning through my words.

"C'mon, don't be a pussy!" He laughed. "Just come down! There's a pipe right there, and its sturdy enough you can grab onto the windows and swing down to the emergency ladder."

"Easy for you to say," I whispered to myself, clenching my fists and swallowing thickly. "You're all the way on the fucking ground."

"Here, I'll go first, and then I'll guide you down from there." Gerard startled me, as he was suddenly standing directly behind me on the ledge.

Jumping a little, I grabbed his arm and gasped. "Christ on a cracker! Don't just jump behind me like that, man!" I took a breath. "But, yeah, that would be cool with me."

"Okay. Step aside, Madame." Gerard gently pushed me back and got down on his knees to help himself down.

"Wait, you're not scared?" I asked, nothing short of flabbergasted with his willingness to make the descent.

"Nah."

"Damn, okay." I shivered. "Proceed then, I guess."

Amazement cannot describe what I experienced, watching Gerard's ease of movement grasping onto the drainage pipe, then stepping onto a ledge. Upon reaching the platform for the emergency ladder, he looked up and licked his lips in contemplation. "It's not so hard, just get on your knees and reach a leg down so you can get your foot around that pipe."

"Okay..." Slowly, I lowered myself, trying my damndest not to focus on the unforgiving ground below me. One leg carefully outstretched, swaying around, searching for purchase. After what my body percieved to be thirty-eight years, but was in reality probably about three seconds, my foot was safely perched on the pipe, allowing me to quickly yank my other foot over. "Okay...what now?" I quivered, squeezing my eyes shut and resting my face on the cool metal.

"Okay, look down. Do you see the windowsill next to you?"

"Yes."

"Okay, now put one hand on the gutter, and step onto the windowsill."

"Are you sure?" I yelled. "What if I'm too heavy?"

"If I could do it, you can too." Gerard yelled back. "Trust me, it's very stable!"

I grimaced and took a shaky step onto the windowsill.

"Good, now the other foot!" Gerard called up.

I shuffled onto the windowsill completely, then took some initiative and swung over to the same platform Gerard was on. I slumped against the brick wall, panting and feeling my heart beat like one of those kids on urban streets who play buckets for money.