Chapter Eighteen

C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N
_________________________
Z A C H

"Listen up, you piece of shit," Zach growled into Danielle's ear. It was audible enough everyone else nearby could hear. He held onto her upper arm tightly, the other hand pressed against the lockers beside her head, effectively pinning her in place. "You fuck up like that again and I break some bones. Are we clear?"

From under him, Danielle managed a weak nod. By now, of course, Zach knew she was faking; her acting skills never ceased to amaze or surprise him, but at the very least he was able to tell if he was actually intimidating her or not. The simple answer was that he never really could, and he knew that now. Although she'd never confessed what exactly it was she did when no one was looking, he knew Danielle had her fair share of secrets, and even more so, her fair share of cuts and bruises.

He pulled back, before kneeing Danielle in the stomach. She'd given him permission to go hard on her, both because she wanted it to be believable and because she insisted his best still didn't hurt. She doubled over in pain, letting out a realistic whimper as Zach and his friends laughed. But something knitted in his own stomach—something felt wrong. It was real, too real.

Danielle collapsed to her knees before him, a hand flying over her mouth. To his horror, she leaned over, coughing almost desperately. Her hand fell away and revealed blood, a dark crimson trickling down her chin from the corner of her mouth. It dribbled onto the floor in drops of a terrifyingly startling red. Had he kicked her too hard? Had he really hurt her? Had he broken something?

The laughter stopped immediately, his friends all sharing the same horror-stricken look. They dashed away without another taunt, a few muttering curses under their breaths as they scrambled from the scene of the crime. Zach dropped to his knees, gripping Danielle's shoulders as she shook with each cough.

"Ohmygod! Shit! Danielle, oh my god, are you okay?" Panic seized his chest, which was now impossibly tight. He found it hard to take in a steady breath.

"Fi-ine—" Danielle managed to choke out. After a moment, she seemed to calm, and the coughing ceased. "Just a little internal bleeding. I saw someone about it last night. Should be fi—" Another round of hysterical coughing erupted from her, clenching her stomach tightly as she convulsed.

"Shit, Danielle, you're not fucking fine. I'm taking you to a hospital." Danielle raised her hand to his face, shaking her head.

"I'm as good as dead at a hospital." She wheezed. "My-phone. Get me my phone." Zach nodded, quickly pulling her phone from her back pocket. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't a pervert, and didn't tough girls without their consent—not sexually, anyway. He felt bad about touching her butt, but did so anyways, and handed the phone to her. Danielle quickly dialed a number.

"Finn-Finn I need—" another fit of coughing. "Got—shot. Get here immediately. Internal bleeding." She hung up immediately afterwards, which Zach failed to see the use in. Who had she called? Why? What were they going to do? Could they even get onto campus with the security?

Danielle turned to Zach, eyes narrow and serious. "Take me to my room." Zach nodded, scooping Danielle up bridal-style. She was heavier than he expected, and the muscle he could feel through her clothing was impressive. It was strange to think that all these years he'd been bullying her, she possessed the means to not only fight back, but to totally kick his ass.