7

At the party Roman surveyed the room, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Eventually his eyes landed on Mara. She was decked out in a gown that looked black at first glance but under the light when she moved you could see it was a very dark yet iridescent blue. He unconsciously sighed and thought 'she is so beautiful'. One of his visiting friends noticed who he was staring at and nudged him "Who ya looking at Roman?" He said in a teasing voice. "Uh, no one" Roman said looking away and lightly blushing. "Really?" His friend Joan teased "Cause it looked to me like you were getting an eyeful of Princess Mara.

Across the room Mara had noticed Romans eyes on her and had been watching him out of the corner of her eye. When she saw his reaction to his friends she guessed what they were talking about and sighed before disappearing into the crowds. There had been other boys who had crushes on her but she had turned them all away. Mara had no time for boys especially when none of them could match her intellect and they all were either too shy to really talk to her or acted like they owned her.

'I am no one's property!' Mara thought angrily as she found a place to sit outside. It was a lovely though cool night and all the stars were on display in all their frosty glory. Much later someone came to stand behind her. She could sense them standing there but couldn't tell who it was, then came "Lovely night isn't". "Yes, it is" Mara replied. "Aren't you cold?", Mara looked at her arms to see she had goosebumps. "Yes I suppose I am. I hadn't noticed". The person behind her draped something over her shoulders, she looked and saw a white jacket with gold and red trim. Mara turned to see Roman standing there casually, hands in pockets staring at the sky. "Shouldn't you be inside enjoying the party?" "Yes, but I wanted a breath of fresh air. And anyway I could ask you the same thing." "Well it's your party so I assumed you would be swamped with people" "I pleaded an errand of nature and managed to slip away" Mara couldn't help it, she giggled. She never thought that someone who loved parties so much would end up sneaking out of his own.

The prince moved to stand next to her and extended a hand, "shall we go back before they send a search party for me?" Mara sighed but smiled as she took his hand "I suppose so".

Once back inside Romans friends swept him away in a whirlwind of talk. Mara sighed again and went to the table that served small pastries.

Sometime later, between one song and the next Roman found her again and asked her to dance. As they danced Mara examined his face carefully. He did not seem much different from the last time she had seen him, more tired perhaps but that was to be expected with him being the crown prince. So why did he seem to sparkle in her vision? She knew it wasn't magic and in all the books she had ever read on human biology she had never seen anything like this. She continued to think as they finished the dance and started the next one. Taking a deep breath she pushed it aside to think about later and focused on the dance.

Later that night in her room as she prepared for bed it suddenly hit her and she nearly swore out loud. She had a crush on Roman. She, Mara of The Isle of Storms, crown princess and sole heir to the throne, had a crush on Prince Roman of Starlight. Mara flopped on the bed and pulled a pillow over her face to suppress a groan. She had had crushes before, but they were few, far between, and always a huge pain in the ass.

****************************************************

HELLO!

I am alive

Sorry it has been so long since I updated