4

Patton woke up feeling better then he had in a long time he looked around and saw Virgil, who was a dragon again loosely curled around him, snoring. He smiled and went to clean himself up, pack his bags and ready his horse for the return to the castle. To his surprise when he went outside it was nearly noon. When he was done packing he went back inside to wake Virgil.

Virgil woke to a tugging on his mane. He yawned as Patton came into view from around his head smiling. As he looked around his cave he saw a bundle next to the desk that smelled good. Patton saw him looking at it and grinned, saying "That's all the non perishable food I had left in my bags. With the way you ate last night I figured you would appreciate it.". Virgil bared his teeth in a dragons smile and went outside.

As they made their way to the bottom of the mountain Patton thought about the plan they had made the night before which was for him to research dragons and dragon curses and then come back in 2 weeks with Logan and Roman. They parted at the edge of the forest and made their way back to their respective homes.

Back at the castle roman and Logan were quite worried that Patton had not come back that night. They set a servant to warn them if anyone approached the castle. Around mid-afternoon the servant found them to say that Prince Patton had been spotted. They rushed to the gate to wait for him.

When Patton finally reached the castle Roman and Logan rushed to meet him fluttering and fretting and asking a million questions. He just smiled which shocked them because he hadn't genuinely smiled like that since he got news of Virgil's death and went to the library to begin his research.

Roman and Logan were shocked at Pattons new air of purpose and despite all their badgering they got nowhere on where Patton had been or what happened. Finally they decided to wait for Patton to find the right time to tell them.

The 2 weeks passed quickly for Patton as he researched relentlessly barely stopping to eat or sleep but slowly for Virgil who had nothing particular to do.