Chapter 9 - Lenny

Start from the beginning

We have more of a crowd today than usual. The place isn't packed but most of the seats are occupied so at least I won't feel singled out. Besides, there isn't anyone paying attention as Charlie cranks up the speakers with Bad Girls by MKTO. I find myself laughing at the song choice because it happens to be my guilty pleasure. It always puts me in a good mood, not to mentions makes me feel powerful, and it's just what I need after the overtly emotional week I just had. It also doesn't require crazy dance moves, just a mellow groove that I easily slip into.

I raise my arms and throw my hips to the side, getting lost in the music and just letting go in general. Fuck, I've needed this. I close my eyes and pretend that it's just me dancing in my room, singing along to the song and swaying to the beat. I pretend to use the bottle as a microphone and belt out the chorus, my hand in my hair and my hips moving. A pair of girls who look older than me pluck up some obvious courage to join me, giggling and making their way over. I toss them a wink to encourage them, my grin widening when they grab the hands of a couple of reluctant guys and drag them out of their chairs. This somehow opens up an invitation and suddenly the floor is packed with bodies. I look over at Charlie my shoulder, my brows raised in victory. He shakes his head but he's smiling, turning up the volume even more.

"What'd I say, Charlie boy?" I brag, dancing over to him. I grab his hand over the bar top. "Come on. It's not a party until the boss lets his freak out."

"You're crazy." He tries to fight me off but I'm on a mission, tugging him harder.

"I'm giving this place the life it deserves." I hook an arm around him when I manage to get him out from behind the counter.

I push him into the crowd who cheers in encouragement, dragging him in the middle of all the bodies. He manages to glare at me before he disappears from view and I laugh, whooping around cupped hands.

My peripheral vision catches someone walking in the bar and my stomach flips when I see it's Wolfe. Just the guy I was hoping would come around. He looks confused as hell eyeing the dancing crowd, eyes darting around like he's making sure he's in the right place. When they land on me, the confusion is replaced with understanding and he shakes his head a little, already predicting this is my doing. I wave my hand for him to join and the tips of his ear go red, his head shaking even harder.

"Come on!" I call out, trying again.

I watch in amusement as he takes a seat on an empty barstool, swinging it around so he can watch instead. My lip curls with an idea. If he won't join the dance, I'll bring the dance to him.

I strut over to him, hips still swaying to the music. It feels way too satisfying watching his eyes flash for a moment before dragging over the length over of me. When his eyes meet mine again, there's a fire in them that wasn't there a moment ago. I bite the corner of my lip. This is definitely the Lenny Parks I've been missing lately and she's back.

When I reach him, I grab his hand and make him twirl me, singing along to the chorus. He's not exactly going with it but he's not stopping me either, watching me with a mixture of curiosity and interest. I definitely take him by surprise when I plop down sideways on his lap, my elbow resting on his shoulder casually and our faces inches apart. His elbows stay braced on the bar top behind him but his fingers flex for a moment, his chest heaving slightly.

I bring my mouth to his ear. "What? You don't dance?"

I feel rather than see him shaking his head no, my lips briefly brushing the shell of his ear.

"That's too bad." My voice sounds huskier even to me. "A dance with you sounds really nice. I guess you owe me, big guy."

I pull back and flip my hair over my shoulder, grinning smugly at the strained look on his face. My arms go above my head and I move to the music, head moving side to side. Some hoots and whistles ring out and when I look at the crowd, I realize most of the them are watching us and cheering. I have to contain my smile when Wolfe's cheeks redden slightly from the attention. He can be so adorably innocent sometimes.