I'll Be Good

I thought I saw the devil
This morning
Looking in the mirror, drop of rum on my tongue
With the warning
To help me see myself clearer
I never meant to start a fire
I never meant to make you bleed
I'll be a better man today

A tear dropped from the woman's eyes, the world seeming to shake as the last bit of alcohol took effect on her system. Looking into her own eyes through the mirror she saw the one thing she had vowed to her mother to never be, a monster. Images of her torturing her father, causing the man to melt into a void of screams. Tilting her head her lips formed a scowl, a vision of her with horns and coal black eyes stared back at her.

I'll be good, I'll be good
And I'll love the world, like I should
Yeah, I'll be good, I'll be good
For all of the time
That I never could

As her mother bled to death she caught the resolution in her eyes, the acceptance that her end was near. Bringing her hand to her daughter's  face a tear fell, "Do not let that monster change you Kouver. You are so much more than the way her views you. You are a pheonix, a angel. You have to be good for me okay? Be the sunshine to other's dark days. Be the warrior that battles away the demons others do not have the hearts to face. Be good Kouv, do not let that man's evil taint your halo." she begged in a gasping voice, her lungs seeming to find there end as air left her. As her daughter nodded in return a smile melted the pain, removing her necklace and placing it in her daughter's hand as she took her last breath.

My past has tasted bitter
For years now
So I wield an iron fist
Grace is just weakness
Or so I've been told
I've been cold, I've been merciless
But the blood on my hands scares me to death
Maybe I'm waking up today

Falling to the floor a heart breaking sob wrecked her throat, her hand coming to grasp her necklace as the blood on her hands coated her throat. Her mind drifts back to her teen years, to her father's lectures of how grace and kindness were weaknesses. That her heart made him ashamed of her, that no person carrying his blood in their veins were meant to be weak. Slamming her head against the wall she screams in an attempt to silence the voices, faces of those she'd killed haunting her.

For all of the light that I shut out
For all of the innocent things that I doubt
For all of the bruises I've caused and the tears
For all of the things that I've done all these years
And all
Yeah, for all of the sparks that I stomped out
For all of the perfect things that I doubt

Pulling the knife from her waist she sent it sailing across the room, screaming as it landed in a picture of her mother. As she brought herself to her feet her eyes turned cold, her sobs ceasing as she retrieved the knife. "I'm sorry mother. He won the battle in creating a monster, but he did not win the war. Both you were both avenged, but I am afraid the only place I will find redemption at this point is in my grave." her apology left her in a voice she'd grown to recognize. One void of all emotion. Snatching her helmet from the table she gave the home one last glance, afterwards leaving both her heart and home in the dust.