Fifteen

As Ceaser rides slowly through the woods, he heard someone behind him and stopped his horse. Turning, he sees Blue Eyes, Maurice, Rocket and Luca all riding towards him on their own horses, determined looks on their faces. They stopped in front of him as he shook his head, signaling them not to follow.

'the soldiers camp is always moving. my guards think they know where it is. Let me take you.' Luca signs.

'you need me to back you up!' Rocket adds.

"No." Ceaser shakes his head.

'Please father.'

"Go back son."

'I can't. Not while she is out there. I need this.'

"I may not make it back."

'that's why I'm coming. To make sure you do.' Maurice signs calmly.

Ceaser felt a proud throb in his heart at his loyal friends and nodded. They continued their way, through the thick dense woods, past discarded human structures and vehicles until they saw a large clump of buildings. Some looked like they hadn't been used in years.

'guards think soldiers here; always fires burning.' Luca informed.

They rode their horses to the area and passed old buildings and shacks, unused and with no sign of humans, they continued through the little metal village. They got off their horses and Ceaser took the gun from the horse's side, moving to the others.

"Search the area." He says moving to a shack. The other three began trekking through the little buildings, searching for any life. Then suddenly, as they all walked down the dirt path, a man walked out carrying a bundle of wood. He froze when he saw the three, holding a hand up in surrender.

"I'm just gonna put this down." He says gesturing to his bundle in his hands.

But as soon as he drops the wood, he reaches for a gun behind him hanging on his shoulder. But before he could even raise the gun to the four, a shot fired at him and downed him quickly. The apes looked over and saw Blue Eyes moving from the shadows of one of the smaller shacks, glaring down at the dead man. Ceaser as his son shared a look before they moved to the body and saw a strange lettering on his neck. It looked like some odd symbols.

'what is he doing out here alone?'

'maybe he's a deserter?'

Then they heard crashing inside the larger building in the center of the small village. The apes quickly moved to the building and went inside, guns raised at any threat. When they went in, they noticed jars of foods were tipped over and broken and something was moving in the shadows. Blue Eyes followed Maurice to a small room where a bed sat in the corner of the room.

There in the shadows lay a little figure under a blanket. Blue Eyes aimed his gun at them, but Maurice came over and lowered their guns. That's when they noticed it was a little girl. Ceaser said nothing but left the room, ordering them to take what they can and left. Blue Eyes watched Maurice move in close the little girl and give her a doll. It was filthy and covered in blood. The little girl hugged the little toy close to her and attempted to speak, but it only came out as breathy grunts. Blue Eyes cocked his head in confusion; Mina did that a lot when she would sign to him. Maybe this girl is like her.

Blue Eyes moved to her and held out his hand. The little girl took his hand and he helped her up. Maurice and Blue Eyes moved to Ceaser who was standing outside the door watching.

'something wrong with her. I don't think she can speak.' Maurice signs. Ceaser stared at him a moment before turning away.

"Come." He ordered, leaving the area.