Three _ Just Before The Dawn

Start from the beginning

“You mean, you are not mad?”

“I’d be mad if you try to hide who you are. I’m only proud of you, sweetie.”

I felt compelled to hug her but she beat me to it. I nestled into the crook of her neck and cried those happy tears.

”You are perfectly fine just the way you are. Don’t you let those who say otherwise get to you, you hear me?”

Again, I pulled away to look at her and found sincerity in her eyes that confirmed that she meant every word. She cupped my cheeks and brushed away a wayward tear.

“Those eyes are definitely not for crying.”

I chuckled, still teary-eyed. “But someone said I look stunning when my blue eyes are filled with tears.” She said that when I had to leave to live with grandpa when I was about 9 and had been crying.

“They are azure. And I said beautiful. But don’t let those be of sorrow, understood?”

I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and hugged her again. I thought it’d take even her some time to accept me, which made me admire her all the more.

“So care to tell me the whole story while we have that now overcooked dinner?”

The relief and courage I’ve found after I knew how mom stood in my current situation simply washed away the moment I saw dad walk in the front door with mom. I didn’t go to the airport to pick him up, I was just too excited. No, Nervous. I noticed his usual expressive face didn’t tag along with him but an unusually good mood found him, easing my nervousness a bit. His cheerful attitude continued during and after dinner, which was saying something because we rarely heard him talk about his activities this ardently. Since we lost Danny, that is.

“So I met with McGovern when I was in London.” He said, sitting down on the couch opposite us.

“Chris?” Mom said, a little surprised. “Elena called, he got back a day earlier than you. How was he?”

“Good man, cheerful as always” Knowing Ian’s dad well, I smiled. He really was a nice man. His son however was a cheesy little bestard, who I happened to be best friends with.

“We were talking about business, this and that when suddenly he asked me how I’ve planned my kid’s future.”

I knew he turned to look at me but deliberately avoided his gaze fixing my eyes on the TV acting like I was ‘Dancing with the stars’. After a moment, he turned back to mom to continue the talk, most of which I didn’t catch. Not like I was not interested in adult things. Well I wasn’t, actually. But nothing bored me like the future stuff. Besides what can he possibly have planned for my future? After all, it was mine and hence my responsibility.

The mention of Ian brought my thoughts to his cousin, Maggie, who was the reason I’ve been going over his house these past few days. I was relishing the memory of the last time I went over Ian’s and found her alone. We ‘spent’ some time together. But of course he had to interrupt my thoughts.

“You are friends with Ian, aren’t you, Kun?” Adressing me by that name which he only uses in his nicest mood, he turned anf faced me. And I hate it when he asks something the answer to which he already knows.

“Yeah, dad.” 

“So?”

“So, what?”

“You didn’t catch anything your mother and I just said, did you?”

“Umm, guess not.” I gave him a sheepish grin and looked at mom, who looked anxious, which made me frown.

“I talked to his father about your future.”