"Stop interrogating me, Malcolm."

"Did you know about them? Is that what you're hiding, why you don't want me to see him? Because you knew?"

Jessica stepped towards him, "I have ignored vicious whispers, baseless accusations, cozy winks from men and I expected it from strangers but not my own son. It took everything I had to walk into that cell—"

"Spare me, you knew what he was doing!—"

There was an echo of a slap, and Theodora raced forward standing in front of him. He had a hand against his cheek, staring at the floor in disbelief. His mother had slapped him, right across the face. "What the hell is wrong with you!"

"This does not concern you."

"Yes it does." Theodora glared, "Because Malcolm is my best friend and I love him, and I will not watch you hurt him anymore. I know your backstory is fucked up, everyone does but you cannot keep ignoring it and expecting your kids to as well. He just wants to know why. He wants to stop reliving those damn nights and waking in panic sweats and thrashing—" She paused, meeting Jessica's saddened gaze. "You have many different faces, Mrs Whitly. None of them are good. And you see what your son is going through but I never see you here unless your telling him how crazy he is. Maybe you're apart of the problem, Jessica. Treat him like your son and perhaps he'll treat you like a loving mother."

Malcolm grabbed ahold of Theodora's arm, pulling her closer. He pointed at his mother, voice low and shaky. "I told you about the girl in the box. Before I called the police. You were wearing a red dress—"

Jessica's vision seemed to sharpen at that mention, focusing on Malcolm's words more closely than before.

"— you yelled at me, made me promise not to speak of it again."

"Your father's in your head."

He took a step forward, watching her now. "So are you."

Jessica took a breath, whispering. "Isn't it funny to you. Your father is a serial killer and after all these years I'm still the monster."

She grabbed her purse of the counter, shaking her head. "But I don't care. I don't need you to love me, Malcolm. I just need you alive!"

And with that, she marched out the door.
They remained silent for several minutes, eventually the grip on her arm fell and she swirled around, pulling him into a big hug. "I'm sorry." She mumbled.

"Why?"

"Your family is insane."

He held her back, breaking out into uncontrollable laughter. "I know! I know, and I can't do anything about! My life is just.... it's just a mess!"

"I know."

The laughter slowly ended, "You're supposed to tell me I'm wrong, Theo."

"But you're not."

He fell silent, nodding, grip tightening around her. "So." He sighed, "You love me?"

Theodora pushed him away, rolling her eyes. He grabbed ahold of her arm and yanked her forward, placing both hands on her face and leaning into her. She froze as his lips met hers, breaking away ever so slowly.

Theodora stood there, unable to function properly.

"I love you, too."

She blinked slowly, processing the words and actions he had just done.

A small amused smile crossed his face, "Thank you."

"Uh." She mumbled, "No problem."

Malcolm turned and made his way across the room towards the front door, "Dinner?" He glanced back to her. "I'll pay."

She nodded, "Ok. Yeah. That sounds nice."

He held the door open for her as she passed him, still processing the events that had just occurred. She stayed silent the entire walk, following him to whatever place he decided was good. He grabbed ahold of her hand, giving it a squeeze.

"How about we pay a visit to ol' Martin Whitly." Theodora stopped then, "I know you want to go. I kinda do, as well."

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow.

"We need to solve this. For you, your sister and your mother. Wether or not she's apart of this or not." She turned the opposite way and dragged him along, "Now."

He said nothing, only followed her along. They found a cab sitting idle along the curb and both jumped in, spooking the driver. Malcolm gave him the address and sat back, settling into his thoughts.

"I'm worried, Theo."

She sighed, "So am I."

They said nothing else the entire way.