Chapter 9 - Date requests, Homework, and Irritation.

David Mazouz as Regulus Black

^Adelaide POV^

A frustrated noise bubbled at the back of my throat as a young, irritating looking girl stopped in front of me. This must have been at least the thirteenth person to come up to me to try and mock me, most of them had ended up with detention or house point deductions. The girl who looked to be a first, maybe a second year, pulled at the end of her blonde plait in a nervous manner. I glared at her, my patience already have worn out, as she stared at me with big green eyes, wider than what I thought was possible, and as I hiked my bag further up my shoulder a smirk threatened to break out when she flinched but I was far too irritated.

"U-um, J-james Potter asked if you, if you would meet him at the broom cupboard on the third floor and he said that, that unless you verbally decline, you have to g-go." The Gryffindor girl stuttered out whilst her eyes looked everywhere but my eyes which had narrowed into a glare. I began to reach for my wand, ready to hex her and show her exactly what I thought of the idea when a voice rang out behind me.

"Go tell my idiot of a brother and his friends that Adelaide would never stoop as low as to spend more than a minute in their presence." When the blonde girl made no move to leave the boy, who now stood beside me, sent her a glare, "Now."

The girl needed no more convincing and scurried off with a slight whimper. I turned my attention to the dark-haired boy next to me and nodded my head in thanks.

"Don't mention it, consider us even for the help on my astrology essay. Besides, I lived with the oaf long enough to know what it's like to want to punch his face in." Regulus joked lightly. The corner of my mouth twitched up into a smile at listening to the 4th year Black.

I continued with my trek to the Black Lake, Regulus following close behind before falling into stride with me. I felt my fist clench when I saw the Marauders down by the lake. Regulus gently grasped my wrist and rubbed his thumb softly in an up and down motion, an attempt to calm me down and stop me from storming over and castrating the wankers.

Regulus pulled me to sit under a large tree that provided shade – not that the sun was out – and looked to me before turning his attention to the Marauders, "They're not worth it, besides, you're clever, be creative when getting even." With that, he smirked slightly and pulled out his charms homework and began writing. I grabbed my transfiguration homework from my bag and began working on the short essay McGonagall had assigned.

Regulus and I continued this for another twenty or so minutes by which time I had finished my essay. I cracked my knuckles, stretching my arms above my head before peering over at Regulus who was still hunched over his parchment, looking puzzled.

I held my hand out to him for the parchment and he complied with a relieved look on his face. I grabbed his quill from his hand and began scribbling down a conclusion to the essay, summarising all his points, even adding in a couple of my own minor points and then handed it back, watching as his eyes scanned the writing. A smile twitched at the corners of his lips and he turned to look at me, appreciation evident on his sharp features.

"Thanks, Adelaide, I owe one again." He said with a sheepish rub to his neck but looked thankful nonetheless. I just nodded and pulled a book from my satchel, opening to the book-marked page before Regulus' shocked voice stopped me, "The Picture of Dorian Gray? Isn't that a muggle book?"

I simply rose an eyebrow and picked up his quill and on a scrap of parchment wrote what I wanted to say, 'Whilst I don't have respect for most muggles and their pathetic lives, there are a few who do amazing pieces work – ones that could even rival that of a wizard's – that should be appreciated, whether it's by a muggle, witch, wizard, goblin or whatever else.' I didn't care to take in his reaction to my views, just returning to my book to continue reading.

Regulus sighed lightly, "I agree," he reluctantly began in a quiet tone, "but I'm sure most of the dunderheads in our house won't, so just be wary of who sees you reading that." From the corner of my eye, I saw him stand up to leave but he suddenly halted in his steps which caused my gaze to drift from my book, 'honestly, I'm never going to finish this book.' My hands clenched the book much tighter when I saw what, or rather who, caused Regulus to stop in his tracks: the bloody Marauders.

"Aw, Reggie, since when did you hang out with arseholes like Fawley?" The annoying voice of Sirius Black rang out. I glared, unable to say anything back. "What's wrong, dog got your tongue?" He, Potter and Pettigrew laughed obnoxiously and swung an arm around my shoulders, causing me to accidentally elbow him in his kidney. "Fuck!" He cried out and removed his arm to clutch his side. Whoops.

"Now, that's not very friendly, Fawley. Weren't you taught to play nice?" Potter asked with a grin stretching across his face. I heard Regulus snort from my left,

"Believe me, Potter, that was her playing nice," he informed the Gryffindors who seemed to want to bug me as much as possible.

"She's as friendly as she is likely to get a boyfriend, so not at all," he smirked, hazel eyes twinkling with mischief, and pushed his glasses that had slipped slightly back up, "But it's fine, cos mummy and daddy have probably already engaged her to some relative or something to marry." With that, he gave a small mocking pout. If there was one thing that infuriated me more than James Potter and his band of weirdos, it was people talking about me marrying. Not that Potter would know that, but I was already in a bad mood due to my inability to speak, eat and drink, and Potter, annoyingly enough, seemed to always time his comments at the worst moments. I lunged at him, my arms reaching to grab his tie to choke him with it. Surprised shouts echoed in my ears from everyone but I blocked it out. I could feel someone's arms wrap tightly around me and pull me away from Potter whilst someone else uncoiled my fingers from his tie and drag Potter away. I thrashed for another moment or so before stopping, taking a few deep breaths and relaxing slightly in the arms, who I noticed to be Regulus', that held me.

I grabbed my bag that had been discarded on the floor, grasped Regulus' wrist in my hand and dragged him back with me to the castle, constantly aware of the incredulous and confused stares directed at me from both Regulus and the Marauders. 

^A/N^

Hey, so I finally updated, sorry it took so long! A big thank you to everyone who has read and voted, it really means a lot  :D