Chapter 8 - Hooligans, Milk, and Detention

^Adelaide POV^

I rolled over in my warm bed, wanting nothing more than to sleep for a little longer but knowing better than to give in as I would probably end up sleeping for another two hours or something; it had happened more than once before. Deciding that it would be best to just get up, I ambled toward the dorm bathroom with my wash kit and uniform in my hand, I never left my things in the bathroom lest they be stolen or used by the other girls.

After taking a short shower in the hopes of waking myself up more, I used a quick spell to dry my dark hair and decided to leave it down. I straightened my green and silver tie, shoved a vanilla Chapstick in my robe pocket, grabbed my satchel and left the dormitory. Being a nice person, I slammed the door in order to wake up the other three as I knew that they would no doubt sleep through breakfast and probably first lesson. Hearing the groans and complaints from inside, I smirked and marched away, heading for the Great Hall as I craved coffee.

When I walked in I was pleasantly surprised to see that Severus was actually there: he had only come out of his dorm for lessons, unless of course we shared said lessons with the Gryffindors which he would ditch; someone (usually me) would bring food up to the common room and one of his dorm mates would take it up for him. Glad that I wouldn't have to do that again, I strode over to the long table, applying the vanilla lip balm as I went.

Severus nodded to me as I sat, "Morning. I decided it would only negatively affect me to keep missing classes and mealtimes, I also figured I shouldn't let Potter and his band of hooligans think they got the best of me." He stated, answering my unasked question. "What do we have first, its Charms, right?"

I went to reply only to find that nothing but a muffled sound could be heard. I could see Severus shooting me a confused look but I ignored him. Trying again and focusing more I found that the result was the same. I continued attempting to speak, to even open mouth but it seemed as though it was glued shut. Mine and Severus' mild freaking out had drawn the attention of some of the other Slytherins. My eyes widened, filled with confusion and frustration, and I looked up to see Severus with the same expression. Almost in sync, our eyes fell to the Chapstick that I had placed on the table when I sat down. All of the confusion my blue orbs had held was removed when I recalled the events from the previous day: the troublemakers sitting together, the smirks, the wink, my missing Chapstick. My head snapped, at such a speed one might think I got whiplash, my hair flying everywhere, eyes looking in the direction of the Marauders. I felt rage course through my veins and my vision turned red. Before anyone could comprehend what was happening, I had stood up from the bench and begun storming over to the noisy Gryffindor table.

I stopped directly behind Potter who was sat to the left of Lupin and opposite Pettigrew who sat beside Black whilst the Prewett twins sat slightly further along the table. I could hear the conversations around the Hall die down as everyone looked at me in confusion; it was one thing for Potter and the others to approach someone – it was their nature – but for me – someone who would rather be dead than caught with the likes of Potter – to approach them, it was odd to say the least.

Potter, ever the entertainer, turned around and feigned shock and bewilderment at my sudden appearance. "Ah, Fawley, to what do I owe this pleasure?" If a glare could kill, Potter's corpse would be at the centre of Earth. I motioned to my mouth and grunted whilst my jaw clenched. "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Cat got your tongue?"

By now the Marauders and Prewett twins had started to chuckle and Potter could no longer hold back his smirk. From the corner of my eye, I could see McGonagall and Slughorn stand up from their seats, ready to intervene should it get out of control. Potter and I still had yet to break eye-contact, his hazel orbs with little green specks glared into my own electric blue ones; it was as though whoever looked away first was weaker, something neither of us would call ourselves. As Potter was concentrating so much on not breaking eye contact he failed to notice the jug of milk I was lifting up. My concentrated face began to turn into a smirk and confusion flashed across his face before I tipped the metal jug of milk all over him. His confusion was swiftly replaced with shock and frustration and his eyes grew wide before narrowing into slits. I shook the final contents of the jug in his hair and heard the clapping and laughter from some of the Slytherins before they once again fell silent when Potter opened his mouth to speak and spluttered for a moment before regaining his composure.

"Sirius, be a dear and pass the cereal?"

Black shot his friend a look as he handed over his bowl of dry cereal he had not yet added milk to. Potter picked up a piece of the food and wiped it along his face, from his eyebrow to his chin, soaking it with milk before eating it.

"Yum!" he proclaimed with a shit-eating grin on his face. Many people guessed what was going to happen yet it was still rather disgusting to watch, and it succeeded in making them lose their appetites.

"Mr Potter, Miss Fawley please explain yourselves," McGonagall demanded from behind me, her voice laced with slight disgust at the action she just witnessed Potter commit.

"She couldn't even if he wanted to!" cackled Black from his seat opposite Lupin before a thud was heard and he jumped, sending a glare to Lupin. McGonagall and Slughorn exchanged confused and worried glances before they looked to me.

"They did something to her lip balm Professors," Severus replied on my behalf. "It appears they have made it into a glue-like mixture. They've glued her mouth closed." Slughorn motioned for Severus to pass him the Chapstick. After inspecting it, he sighed before nodding to himself.

"I'll make you an antidote potion Miss Fawley, it should be ready by the end of the day, hopefully," he smiled at me and Severus before turning to look at McGonagall and the miscreants, "Now, Minerva, I believe these boys must be punished." McGonagall nodded, letting a quiet mumble of something that sounded like the need to retire should they continue.

"Mr Potter, Mr Black, Mr Lupin, Mr Pettigrew, you four will receive three weekends of detention and five points from Gryffindor." the transfiguration teacher stated before turning to me after hearing me clear my throat – as best I could considering the circumstances. She cast me a questioning look and I pointed towards the two redheads who could be seen trying to conceal their laughter. "Mr Prewett, Mr Prewett, you two took part in this as well?" She asked in an exasperated tone.

"Only a little-" Tweedledumb began.

"-as much as we hate to admit it-" Tweedledee continued.

"-it was actually their idea-"

"-we only helped them execute it."

"Three weekends of detention for you two as well then. Now, Mr Potter, please go and get cleaned up, you have twenty minutes before your first class, you really ought to hurry. Everybody else, might I suggest you finish your breakfast and such before your lessons begin?" Hearing this, everyone resumed eating and chatting whilst Potter left the Hall, closely followed by the other Marauders, presumably to get cleaned up.

Severus and I returned to our seats where several people congratulated me and said a few colourful words about the Marauders. I picked up a croissant and lathered it in jam and went to take a bite before remembering I couldn't open my mouth. I couldn't eat. I was so hungry and I couldn't eat. All I wanted was to have some coffee and a croissant. But I couldn't.

James Potter had a death wish. And I was more than happy to fulfil it.