Chapter 5 - Interruptions, Tension, and Chapstick

Ashley Benson as Marlene McKinnon

^3rd POV^

Sitting in his dormitory with the other Marauders later that night James began, "I think--"

"Do you?" Peter asked, looking up from the letter he was writing. Sirius snorted and Remus grinned.

"Shut up, Wormtail," James replied throwing a pillow at him, "Anyway, I was thinking that we should--"

"No." Remus said this time, flipping onto the next age of his book. James pulled an offended face.

"No? I haven't even-- I haven't even said what I was thinking yet!" James shouted, throwing his arms up in an exasperated fashion. Sirius, Peter and Remus laughed, however, James quickly continued talking, "Anyway, I think we should – I swear to Merlin Padfoot, if you interrupt, I'll--" he added, seeing the look on Sirius's face.

"You'll what, Prongsie?" Sirius questioned with a smirk, only for it to quickly fall from his face when James lunged towards him. Sirius dodged and fell on the floor, proceeding to scramble to his feet as James landed face-first onto Sirius' bed. "I didn't mean it, James!" Sirius screeched as he stumbled his way out of the dormitory and down the steps to the common room, James hot on his heels.

"THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW!" he yelled after his friend, "Sorry, Evans, sorry, McKinnon!" he called over his shoulder as he bumped into the aforementioned red-head and her blonde friend, Marlene. The two girls rolled their eyes and scoffed, looking at the two idiots racing through the portrait. Lily went to protest but the boys were already out of her vision.

"Do those idiots even realise that it's nearly curfew? They're going to get busted." Marlene sang the last sentence, grinning at the thought of James and Sirius getting yet another detention – on top of the 3 they already had for that week alone.

"I'm just glad I'm not on patrol today," Lily replied before heading up to their dorm.

James and Sirius ran along the moving stairs, even jumping over the bannister and landing on another set before continuing to run. Some of the portraits that scattered the halls of Hogwarts scolded them for 'running through the halls at this hour' but some cheered them on and told James which way Sirius went after he lost sight of him. After wandering the halls looking for Sirius for another 10 or so minutes, he decided to head back to the dorm and catch him there. Turning on his heel to leave, James was surprised to see none other than Adelaide Fawley, stood a few feet in front of him, arms crossed, and face set in the scowl she seemed to wear more often then Snape.

"What are you doing down here, Potter?" she asked in an unimpressed voice with her eyebrow raised, speculating on what excuse he could come up with.

"Well, Fawley, I could ask you the same thing." James retorted, mirroring her pose but with a cocky smirk, thinking that he had caught her out.

"Actually, I'm  down here because last time I checked I'm a prefect and I'm patrolling, catching people like you  out of bed, after hours." Adelaide let a smirk take over her face as James' slid off. "Detention, Potter." James opened and closed his mouth like a fish a few times before deciding on what to say:

"What? You didn't even hear what I had to say!" His ears turned slightly red, something Adelaide did not fail to notice.

"I don't need to, you're out of your dormitory, after hours, with no valid reason." She flashed him a wicked grin before continuing, "I'd be heading off, back to your common room now, if I were you, wouldn't want to make it two  detentions, would we?"

"Y'know, if you wanted to hang out you could've just said so, no need to give me a detention." James replied, his face contorting into a smug grin. Adelaide rolled her eyes and scoffed at James as he winked at her, applying his 'Potter charm'.  Adelaide went to form a snarky comment before movement caught her eye.

"Detention for you too, Black." James and Adelaide heard faint cursing and something along the lines of, 'Damn hawk eyes'  before he stepped out of the shadow, a pout on his face.

"I can practically cut the sexual tension with a blunt knife. I really thought you guys were gonna start making out or something. I missed the action." At the positively murderous look Adelaide gave him, he chuckled nervously and stuck his hands up in defence, "I was kidding! I was kidding!"

"Bed. Now." Adelaide ordered through gritted teeth. Seeing that they may be in danger of injuries from her, they scampered off. Adelaide watched as they turned the corner before she let out a deep sigh and continued her patrol.  "Imbeciles."

As the two boys returned to their dormitory, they were not surprised to see that Remus and Peter were having another fight over what chocolate was best before they looked up to see their slightly dishevelled friends.

"What happened?" Peter questioned, noting their flushed faces.

Remus snorted before answering the question, "They got caught out of bed, got a detention, and ran back here. The question you should be asking is: who caught you?"

"Fawley, but now we have all the more reason to prank her!" James said punching the air in excitement. "And I have a great idea." He smirked into space, looking at nothing in particular whilst the others looked at him, waiting for him to say the idea.

"Well? What's the idea, mate, we're on the edge of our seats here!" exclaimed Sirius excitedly and waving his hand in James' face.

"Well," James said teasingly, drawing out the 'l', "have you guys noticed that she doesn't wear much make up but always seems to be wearing some Chapstick?"

The three boys nodded slowly, attempting to work out where he was going with this.

As he explained the prank, the smiles on their faces grew. Sirius and Peter whooped and high-fived James and he gladly cheered with them. Remus merely chuckled and shook his head, knowing it wasn't going to end well for them but wanting to know the outcome. Although, one question popped into his head.

'How does James know that she always wears Chapstick?'

~A/N~

Hey, sorry for the mega late update, but for anybody who actually reads this, here is the next chapter.

-Trellis13