Part I

Prince Lucius grabbed the eye patch I was wearing and tore it apart. The princess and I were sitting in the palace garden far away from my room when he approached us. I couldn't go get another one unnoticed now.

"Beautiful! Your red eye is a truly beautiful sight to behold Faery." He was smiling while looking closely at my eyes.

His long black hair was the color of the darkest nights and I felt like I was going to be swallowed by the darkness of his aura. His formal clothes were black with some red strings.

"It's not beautiful. It's odd. I always get disapproving looks from everyone when they see my mismatched eyes," I say while averting my gaze from him.

"Brother, you've crossed the line," princess Hestia said.

Unlike her brother, Princess Hestia had long red hair and a cheerful, upbeat personality.

"Faery, I forbid you to wear eye patches again. From now on you must walk proudly with both of your eyes uncovered," Lucius said in an authoritative voice.

"My green eye is a human eye, while the red-eye represents... demons," I mutter, holding back my tears.

"Both me and Hestia have red eyes!"Lucius shot me a strange glare.

"I-I didn't mean to say anything bad..." Lucius pressed his index finger against my mouth and I stopped talking.

"Let's not destroy this beautiful moment with talking." Lucius smiled again. "Red eyes are beautiful. They are perfect! Too bad your other eye is green, but I love how your blonde hair is naturally dyed with crimson red at its ends."

"Brother, at this rate you'll cross too many lines," Hestia protested.

"Faery needs to appreciate herself. We're going for a walk around the castle garden," Lucius grabbed my arms and propped me to stand up.

"I'll go too," Hestia suggested while she stood up.

"No, stay here and do whatever you planned on doing," Lucius said.

"I came to the garden with Faery to pick flowers and gather new floral idea arrangements for my room, but since she needs to escort you I'm at a loss," Hestia explained.

"Don't worry! Stay here and as soon as we encounter a servant we'll send him or her to help you," Lucius said while he lead me away.

He grabbed my right hand and slowly led me around the garden. I looked back to Hestia but she gave me an apologetic look. There wasn't anything she could do to help me now. She was my dear, distant cousin and although our social ranks weren't close, she treated me like a true friend. I was only a future countess to be and was invited to stay as Hestia's lady-in waiting in the palace for a short while, until our side makes more progress, recaptures a strategic point in the ongoing war that could help end the war.

The palace garden was normally a beautiful and peaceful place, but right now, while being forced to take a walk against my will, it wasn't peaceful at all . A lot of colorful flowers with a wonderful scent decorated it and I loved spending my free time here.

I hoped we wouldn't meet anyone, but that was just wishful thinking. There was no way servants and guards would leave the side of royals. I thought the servants at my home castle were annoying when they watched my movements, but the royal security and service were on a whole different level. They were always somewhere close and would often conceal their presence in order to show up immediately when they were needed.

"Look at that." I heard whispers from a court lady in the corner."Prince Lucius is walking around the garden with a lady."

"Is that Faery? The strange newcomer girl the princess fancies." The other court lady said.