28 | The Sunny Side

Start from the beginning

"Where the hell were you?" Luke questioned them. He sounded angry, but it wasn't as bad as before. It was nothing like before, which relieved my heart. I preferred his warm, smiling self.

"It turned out that they were more than prepared for us," the girl with fire-like feathers replied. "And you don't get to be angry. You weren't supposed to be here. We asked you to stay back for a reason."

"It wasn't good enough. You hadn't even reached him." By him, he meant me.

The angel spared me a glance, and I noticed how her eyes were completely black unlike Luke, only his irises had changed color.

She scoffed. "They had blocked this area. This whole mission was fruitless. The head of Polaris, Merriam Delacroix, managed to escape."

"Well, I wouldn't say it was entirely useless," the angel with black wings said, kneeling beside Richard's body. He laid in a pool of his blood with his face down. "Richard J Morrison, wasn't he the head of their researches?"

The fire-winged girl seemed even more bewildered than before. "You killed him?" she asked Luke.

The other angel answered before Luke. "No, the human tied to the pole one-shot him. Dude, this is sick! You legit spilled his guts out."

That was too strange to hear from the mouths of God's messengers. But then again, this whole situation made no sense. My boyfriend turned out to be an angel. Great day.

"How—"

Luke interrupted her. "I don't remember what happened. We can talk about this later, Laura." Luke gazed around suspiciously. "I want to get away from this fucking ship."

While my focus was on Luke, the black-winged angel had stepped too close to me. She—or he, their visage seemed too ambiguous, and it wasn't fair to assume without knowing. They were sitting in front of me, curiously studying my face. I suddenly became too aware of my wound.

"Did you see what happened?"

"Um." I didn't know how to reply. When I looked up, all their gazes were at me. I think Luke wanted to know, too because he didn't hint otherwise.

"I, uh, Luke stabbed him."

"No shit."

"Morgan..." The other angel, Laura, warned.

"Sorry."

"With his wings?" It sounded more of a question when I said it out loud. "I don't know 'how.' They seem very soft."

To that, Morgan's jaw dropped, and I thought I said something very wrong. In haste, I looked at the others. Luke was unaffected, but Laura had a similar reaction.

"You crystallized your wings? How?" she asked Luke, almost shouted at him.

"I just told you, I don't remember anything." Luke was talking really calmly. Maybe he had a better sense of what was happening than the rest of us. Or he is just not interested. Both of us had a shit time. For a change, I didn't want to be tied to this pole a second longer.

"Are we really going to ignore the big fat giraffe here?" Morgan said, but their gaze remained on me.

"Elephant, Morgan. The idiom is 'elephant,'" Laura corrected.

"Whatever! This human can see and feel Luke's wings."

I was taken aback. Was I not supposed to be able to see his wings?

"So what? Luke unfurled in front of him, and we can think about this later. Where the fuck is Raphael?"

Anger flickered in Morgan's expression, and they ignored Laura. "Can you see our wings?"