Traffic

Young Axl

———

"I'm gonna be late getting home. I'm stuck in traffic," I say irritatedly into the phone. I hear a groan on the other end of the line.

"Fuck, baby. I was hoping we could spend more time together," Axl whines. I sigh.

"I know. Oh! Traffic's moving up a little! Shit, it's slowing down again. I'll see you when I get home," I say tiredly.

"Okay. I love you, baby," Axl says, merrily. I sigh.

"Love you too, babe. Bye." I hang up, and chuck the chunky phone into the passenger seat. I check the time on the dash. At the rate I'm going, I'll be home in two hours. I groan, filled with road rage. These fuckers better hurry up.

————

It's been two hours, and I'm nowhere close to home. God, I hate LA traffic.

Axl's probably assuming the worst right now. I can't do anything about it, though, because I'm stuck in traffic.

God, I just want to be ho—

Traffic's finally sped up!

Why couldn't it have sped up before?

Anyway, traffic's speeding up now. Hopefully, Axl won't be too pissed; I did tell him that I was in a traffic jam.

Finally, I merge into another lane and drive to the exit.

And traffic slows down again.

Dear whoever can hear my internal thoughts, FUCK YOU! Amen.

I groan in frustration, slapping the steering wheel. This is sO ANNOYING! At this rate, I'll get home and have to go straight back to work.

I fucking HATE this!

————

Sometimes, I really don't understand why I bother with going to work two hours from my house. I end up in situations such as this.

Axl told me that I should've quit my job, but I didn't want to be economically dependent on him so I didn't listen.

Now, I wish I had listened. I could be at home, watching tv, and cuddling with Axl right now, but no! I can't because I'm stuck in fucking traffic.

"Oh my GOD! SPEED UP! BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKERS!!!" I scream, although nobody can hear me. I sigh frustratedly.

At this point, I'm an hour away from home.

I know that Axl is definitely going to be pissed.

I sigh.

There's nothing I can do. The traffic is so slow, it's almost at a stop.

I look at the speedometer. 10 miles per hour. Fuck.

————

About twenty minutes ago, I pulled into a gas station. Now, I'm on a payphone with Axl.

"How much longer?"

"I'm not sure. Probably forty-five minutes." I sigh. I hear Axl groan on the other end.

"This is fucking ridiculous. The one day I'm able to spend time with you after you get off work, and you get stuck in a fucking traffic jam. Fuck." Axl mutters a string of profanities under his breath.

"I'm going to get in the car now. I'll see you when I get home. I love you, Axl," I say, hoping to cheer him up some. Axl sighs on the other end of the phone.

"I love you too, baby. Here's your only warning: you're in trouble when you get home," he says. My eyes widen significantly, and I know that he's smirking at home.

"I'll be home soon."

————

I pull into the driveway, anxiety bubbling in my stomach. Axl is probably mad. I need to tread lightly.

I get out of the car and head inside the house.

It's dark. I'm pretty sure Axl is going to pop out any minute and pull me into a room, then he'll probably laugh his ass off at my frightened face.

"Axl?" I call out, wondering whether my thoughts would become true.

I hear a small sound. If my ears aren't deceiving me, Axl is going to pop up right ab—

"BOO!"

I jump about ten feet in the air and gasp in fright. Axl starts laughing really hard. He holds his gut as if the laughter will cause his intestines to fall out.

"You fucking scared me! You're such an asshole!" I exclaim, regaining my senses. Axl laughs even harder, and he grabs the wall so he doesn't fall in the floor.

"Fuck you!" I exclaim, stomping to the bedroom. Axl follows me, his laughter slowly dying down.

I take off my shoes and chuck one at the wall beside his head. He sighs, finished laughing.

"Your reaction was priceless, baby." He smirks, holding his arms out for a hug. I reject his hug and head into the bathroom.

"I got stuck in fucking traffic, Axl. When I came home, I half expected to see you waiting for me. Instead, the house is dark, and you're nowhere to be found!" I exclaim, pulling off my work clothes and throwing them into the laundry hamper.

"I love you, baby," Axl says from behind me. I roll my eyes, heading back into the bedroom. I pull on one of Axl's shirts and some fluffy socks.

"Yeah, yeah. Love you too," I mumble, brushing past him. Axl wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me into his chest. He nuzzles his face into my shoulder. I sigh and let him do whatever the fuck he thinks he's doing.

"I missed you, baby. Traffic fucking sucks, doesn't it?" He presses a kiss to my neck. I slowly relax in his hold.

"Yeah, traffic fucking sucks."