My mind is spinning with questions I don't have the answers to.

"Alex, we don't really have much time left," She says, "You have to listen to me, okay?"

"What is it?" I manage to speak, my voice squeaky.

"You have to go in there," She points to the room with the glass door. "Your dad's inside."

"Okay." I murmur as I take a step. But before I could go in, she grabs me by the hand.

"Wait," Her voice is firm. "Alex, you need to know something."

I wait for her to explain.

She glances at the door briefly before returning her gaze next to me. "When you go in there, just... listen to what he has to say, okay? Don't act irrationally."

"Who's he? And why should I act rationally?" I lift my eyebrows in confusion. "What the hell is going on, mom?"

She closes her eyes and sighs. "Now that the company has gone bankrupt, we have no other choice but to... turn to others for financial aid." From the way her voice changes when she says that, I can tell she's ashamed. "Someone very important has stepped up to help us. It's an amazing opportunity, Alex."

But... Alex is still confused.

"I don't understand," I pull back and cross my arms over my chest. "No offence mom, but I don't understand how this involves... me."

She forces a smile on her face, a smile that is pained. "It has everything to do with you, Alex."

"I don't understand—"

She presses her hands on my shoulders, "You'll know everything soon enough."

I look back at her, waiting for her signal. She nods, and I press my hand on the glass door in front of me and push.

The first thing I notice is the floor. It's beige carpet, and the tiny fibres brush against my sneakers. When I finally manage to look up, I spot my dad. He looks so much paler than the last time I saw him. Thinner too. As I approach him, I also notice that his hair has several more grey streaks. Clearly this whole situation has wrecked him.

I feel compelled to hug him and ask him if he's okay. I'm worried about his health and I'm worried about him. But my hands stay at my sides when I feel more pairs of eyes watching me closely.

My dad's dark eyes lock with mine as I stand next to him. Then, he reaches forward to touch my shoulder. "Alexandria."

The corners of my lips curve upwards. "Hey, dad."

"Not quite the father and daughter reunion you would have liked, huh, John?" A masculine voice sounds. I tear my gaze from my dad and see the man who was speaking. He looks much like my dad, except he is much more handsome, even though he looks like he is in his mid-fifties. He has dark brown hair and piercing hazel eyes. He also wears a black suit, and a nice red tie that my dad would have liked to own.

And beside the man is the guy I never expect to see in a million years.

Daniel

Fucking.

Kerrington.

My heart feels like the voicemail machine.

Beep beep beep beep.

Why the universe keeps forcing me into the same room with this man-child, I'll never know.

"Excuse me but.. who are you?" I asked in a not so polite way. Then, I turn to Daniel, who looks just as surprised as me. He glances at his dad, a look of confusion passing his face. I have a feeling he doesn't know why he's here either. "And what is he doing here?"

The man turns to my dad and chuckles. "So this is the famous Alex you've been talking about? Where are her manners?"

Who the hell does he think he is? "Um, you're talking as if I'm not here."

His gaze flickers to mine, hard and narrowed, and I realise I shouldn't have said anything. There is something about this man that screams dominant. He can probably fry my ass right now if he wanted to.

"Sit down, Alexandria." The man commands.

I sit down.

"Now," He says, a smile forming on his face. Damn, his guy changes emotions so quickly. "Where was I? Oh yes." He begins to pace around the huge table situated in the middle of the meeting room. "Since Ms. Alexandria doesn't know who I am, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Harry Kerrington, the owner of Kerrington Enterprises. We're one of the top real estate companies currently in the US."

Holy fuck.

This is Daniel's father.

But... Harry and Daniel look nothing alike. Daniel has blonde hair and blue eyes. Harry is the latter. How is this even possible?

"You seem confused, Alexandria." His eyes lock with mine again. "Penny for your thoughts?"

I blush. "No it's okay." I'm afraid of saying anything stupid. I have a nasty habit of doing that. "Go on."

Harry cocks his head sideways and starts to pace again."I'm just going to get straight into it since you know who I am and what kind of business I run. As you know, your father's construction company is currently in deep financial trouble. Woods and Co. is swimming in massive debt and its investors are not happy. I'm sure I don't need to get into the nitty-gritty of how it came to be, as your parents will explain it to you later on, so I'll just skip to what comes next."

I glance at my father to see his eyes pinned to the ground in embarrassment.

"I've decided to offer your parents a massive construction project to keep their business up and running for the next few years," Harry explains, almost too casually. "It's a huge offer that's worth a couple hundred million alone, and I believe Woods and Co. can benefit immensely from this project. You'll be able to pay back your creditors and even earn back some of the revenue you lost."

"What's the catch?" I ask, folding my arms across my chest.

"Straight to the point, I like that." Harry tips his head at me. "I'm sure you are aware that your father and I aren't on the best of terms. You can consider us as foes, even. So, you may even wonder what am I doing here, trying to help him."

I purse my lips. "Um, because you should keep your friends close but your enemies closer?"

"Not exactly," Mr. Kerrington licks his lips. "Turns out your father has something to offer to me."

He looks at my father, and my father looks away, as if he is embarrassed. What is my father not telling me?

Daniel shifts from his seat, and leans forward. "Father, what are you talking about?"

Mr. Kerrington merely grins at his son. Then, he turns straight to me.

I'm afraid of what's he going to say next. My mother's voice echoes in my head. It has everything to do with you, Alex. I gulp nervously.

Rather, he pivots to me, a slow smile stretching across his despicably calculating face. "I've offered to help Woods and Co., Alexandria. But on one condition: that you are engaged to my son, Daniel."

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep