4: Two years later

—————— ————— ⤪——————————————— ——— 

Year 839

Two years later

The air was cold and the smell of winter was right around the corner.

I let a warm breath out, watching the cold air mix with the warm, creating a small smoke cloud.

Just do it. Simply walk in, grab it and run. Like you usually do. Come on now.

I fixed my sleeves, trying to cover my forearms more as a cool breeze hits my bare skin, sending a chill down my back. I put the hood of my cloak, making my way into the small bakery.

"Welcome!" The owner exclaims from behind the counter.

I avoid eye contact and look around until I see piles on top of piles of bread sitting out on display. I scan the area around, noticing the owner talking with other customers.

There's my chance. Do it.

Acting like my usual self, I casually grab two loaves and turn to make my way out of the store until a large hand grabs on to my shoulder.

"Hey, where are you going with those? Aren't you going to pay?"

I look over, taking a deep breath.

Well...

"Sorry, but..."

I grabbed his hand, taking off my shoulder. I turned to him and bowed. He looked at me confused and right then... I booked it out of the store.

———⤨ ——— ⤪———

"HEY! GET BACK HERE!"

Running.

That's all I really do now.

I held onto the loaves of bread like my life depended on it, running away from the shop.

I looked over my shoulder and saw the owner chasing after me. Sighing, I turned the corner and hide under some empty wooden boxes.

"For fuck's sake! If I ever see you again... I'll make sure you go with the military police! How dare you! Kids like you should be taught better from your parents!"

That hurt.

———⤨ ——— ⤪——— 

After a few minutes of waiting, I peeked over from behind the box.

Close is clear, perfect.

I got up and started walking towards a nearby alley in the direction where Steph and I were currently 'living'.

Where are we exactly? Well, after two years of continuous pain... haha... Steph and I were the only survivors left in our town. It made no sense to be honest... everyone was slaughtered... not by titans but by humans. For what? No one did anything wrong.

...

It's a day we'll never forget.

But, as of today, we continue to live our lives on the outskirts of nearby towns. However, after hopping from one town to the next, we ended up closer to civilization in the Trost District. I mean it's better than nothing. On top of that, we-- I mean... I end up stealing from small stores too many times to count to at least get something to eat for us or even any sort of hardware that might be useful.