"It's true. She was raised as a mundane," Isabelle said. "What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec asked incredulously. "I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan," Clary retorted, a hint of determination in her tone as she continued on her way. The rest followed behind her with Wren feeling more out of place than before.

They walked to the area with all of the cool technology and Clary began speaking again. "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?" She said. Seriously Clary now was not the time for jokes. "Actually, no.
That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals," Jace said.

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street," Isabelle informed. "And we came back here? Why? We have to go there. Let's go, now. Come on," the redhead urged. "Whoa, Clary, slow down. We can't just go running in there," Wren told her. "We'd need a Clave resolution for that," Alec said. "The four of us can't declare war on the vamps all by ourselves," his sister added.

"And we can't react without considering our options. Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not," the brunet boy went on to say. "Alec, you can't just jump on all the Downworlders," Isabelle said defensively. At this Alec put on a playful smile, shocking the blonde girl. "Oh, that's right. Seelies have their charms, apparently," he said. "Right?" Jace said, also smiling.

"Seelies?" Wren asked, her interest peaked. Despite being very reluctant and unsure about this whole Shadow World thing, she had to admit, it was interesting. "Like faeries. The Fair Folk. Add pixies, nixies, elves anybody half-angel, half-demon. It's pretty much a catch-all term," Jace explained and she nodded, playing with her crystal necklace. She wondered if all half-angel half-demon beings were okay with being called Seelies if they had their own more personal name like pixie or elf. She wasn't sure if she would be.

"Izzy can tell you all about them. She's got a thing," Alec went on. Okay, why is this conversation still going on? Wren wondered. "We've all got our things, don't we?" Isabelle said coyly. "Okay, I can't listen to this. Simon's been kidnapped by vampires. I guess I'll just take care of it myself," Clary said as she began walking away from the group.

"Clary, you're gonna get yourself killed," Jace said. The redhead continued walking. "Clary. Simon, too." This made her stop and turn back to them. She began making her way back over to the four. "Then help me. While we consider other options, our best friend is suffering. Is that something Shadowhunters understand or am I just being a mundane?" Clary said.

"Clary's right. They made the first move. We're gonna take care of this ourselves, right now," Jace finally said. "This is a bad idea," Alec quickly protested. "What, have you got a better one? Look, the vamps broke the Accords. They kidnapped a mundie. That's a big no-no. The Clave will give us a lecture and then they'll be glad we did it. Come on," Jace retorted.

"Hard to argue with that," Isabelle pointed out. "Even if we went ahead, I don't see how we get out of here without having to explain where we're going. We need weapons, and we can't let anyone see us get them," Alec continued. Another brief silence. "I know where to get what we need," Jace finally said.

••••

A churchyard. They had driven to a churchyard. Wren would have preferred to have stayed at the Institute or better yet, home. She just wanted to go home. But she couldn't leave Clary alone with these strangers and she had to make sure Simon was okay. So she texted her mom that she'd be staying at Clary's for the night.