24- You're Also Dying

"And that's all you know?" Lucifer asked after Aiden had filled him in on the very limited details regarding his sister's disappearance.

Aiden shook his head absently. Those were all the facts, but he knew there was more. He knew Jack had done something horrible. She just wouldn't have slept with him. Aiden knew her and he knew there wasn't a chance in hell.

"Can I meet this Jack?" Lucifer asked.

Aiden's eyes snapped to his and it dawned on him that Lucifer had been in his head. "Uh...y-yeah. Right now?"

Lucifer nodded once. "I would very much like to confirm your suspicions."

After a second of preparation, Aiden looked to Saul, who was sitting right beside him. "Can I use your phone?"

Saul leaned and pulled it out of his pocked, then handed it to Aiden, noticing how his heart was racing. He knew Aiden would just say he was fine in front of Lucifer, so Saul just watched quietly, wishing he knew how touching him would effect him.

Aiden dialed Markus and held the phone up to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Dad." Aiden said quietly, glancing down nervously.

Lucifer's jaw tightened, though no one noticed.

A low growl rolled out of Saul, startling Aiden. He looked over with wide eyes at the angry vampire inches away.

With the scrambled thoughts he was getting off Aiden, Lucifer couldn't blame the vampire for being angry. In fact, he'd encourage it.

"What is it?" Markus barked. He was still irritated at his son for acting like Markus was somehow the bad guy.

"Uh...I...I need Jack's numb-"

"Oh," Markus rolled his eyes. "You're not still convinced he's done something to your sister, are you?"

Aiden's chest felt tight. His head was starting to swim.

Saul's growling seemed more absent, but it was making it hard to think on top of having to talk to his father at all.

Blue eyes closed and a pale hand laid on Saul's knee.

The quiet growl cut off instantly when his whole attention snapped down to that hand.

Lucifer was watching the exchange intently. The contact had flared their souls bright, telling Lucifer they were connected. He hadn't expected this.

He studied their auras and saw they were both connected and not at the same time. They were in the in-between stages of Saul's mate spell and yet connected far beyond that.

"Aiden." Markus sighed, so entirely over his son's inability to speak.

"N-no." Aiden lied. "No, I w-wanted to retrace his steps with him."

"Ah, I see. I'll have him call you. Is that all?"

"Y-y-y...mmhmm." Aiden's brow furrowed as he gave up on trying to control his words. A hand covered his and squeezed lightly. He looked down at Saul's hand on his and felt a little pressure lift off his chest.

The line went dead and Aiden looked down at the screen.

It was silent in the room and Aiden knew he should update them. Although, Saul would have heard already.

Aiden glanced up at Lucifer with the question in his eyes and thoughts.

Lucifer nodded in a soft, understanding way. He knew the war going on in Aiden both from the clear window he had into his head, but also from personal experience so long ago. Aiden did not have to force speech for Lucifer's benefit.