12- Safe And Sound

Under the light of the moon, Saul carried his unconscious mate back toward the gate they'd climbed. Aiden had hardly reacted at all to being picked up and then was right back to out cold in seconds. The blanket was wrapped around Aiden because Saul couldn't manage to separate them.

He approached the gate and held Aiden's head against his chest. Seeing no other option besides destruction of private property, Saul crouched down and leaped over the gate. He landed as softly as he could and looked down at Aiden, who only shifted a little and made a quiet sound.

Saul smiled. His Osito seemed to be a heavy sleeper, at least tonight.

He carefully set him in his seat and reclined it back some to be more comfortable. Leaning over Aiden, Saul turned the radio way down, then quietly closed the door.

He was just as quiet getting in the driver's side.

Aiden didn't wake up even once, even a little on the drive home. He did stir a little when Saul lifted him out of the seat to take inside, but not enough to wake up.

They entered the house and Saul was careful to close the front door as quietly as possible, not that it would have woken Aiden from the dead.

Alex appeared and stumbled from stopping so suddenly when he was moving so fast.

"Oh fuc-"

"Shh." Saul hushed as he started for the living room.

Lex caught himself and watched Saul walk by. "He dead or asleep?" He asked, even though he knew very well Saul wouldn't be so calm if Aiden was hurt.

"He's had a long day." Saul whispered.

Lex rolled his eyes. "He's not a child."

Saul ignored him as he laid Aiden down on the couch. In his sleep, he rolled toward the back of the couch and muttered something that sounded like it was meant to be words, but definitely wasn't.

Saul straightened the blanket out to cover him better. His hand went to Aiden's messy hair and smoothed it back. He looked do serene, so peaceful, but Saul knew better. He hoped his Osito would have a calm night.

Lexi wasn't near drunk enough to watch Saul lean down and kiss the side of Aiden's head. Pain shot through him, stealing his breath. It was pain he should be used to, but he wasn't. Would he ever be?

Why? Why didn't she want him? He just wanted to love her and it wasn't enough. He'd tried so hard, as hard as he could. Was it too little too late?

Saul saw him turn away and he saw the look on his face before he did it too. It didn't look angry or pained. It looked blank, devoid of anything. It wasn't his usual, aloof expression. It was just nothing.

Saul checked Aiden one more time, then followed Lex back to his room.

The door was ajar and he pushed it open slowly, not knowing what to expect. What he saw was Alex sitting on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands and his fingers in his frizzy, curly hair.

"How you doing, Lex?" He asked as he closed the door quietly behind him.

"Fucking great." Alex rumbled. "Can't you tell?"

Saul's lips pulled down into a small frown. "I'm sor-"

"Are you?" Alex snapped and stood in a flash. He didn't need to hear all about how it would get better or how it was Melody's loss. He couldn't care less about Saul's hallow comforts when he had a mate out there to hold and kiss and love.

His shoulder knocked hard against Saul's, who lifted a hand to stop him from leaving.

"Wait-" Saul was cut off by a furious growl and an even more furious Alex that tackled him off his feet.