Nothing left to say [Phoenix] ANGST

A/N based off 'Nothing left to say' imagine dragons

My long term boyfriend and devoted lover, oh sweet Arthur, had become an arrogant beast. The cocky Joker identity had taken over him and he was constantly in that clown makeup, coated and refused flat out to ever take it off.

I thought it was ridiculous, what he had done was bad enough anyway but I had forgiven him, because I loved him so much.

It was your average night, I was sat on his couch, peacefully watching tv until the door opened revealing the suit wearing fiend who had stolen away my sweet baby. He gazed at me blankly before flashing me a quick smirk, something he often did, before walking over to me and sitting beside me, wrapping his arm tightly around my waist before nuzzling his face into my neck, leaving a few soft kisses.

But it wasn't the same. It was never the same. The man I had fallen for, struggled with, was no longer there, replaced with a remorseless 'comedian' who's comedy skits all included a murder.

I had reached my breaking point.

I gazed at him with sharp, focused eyes as I took in a deep breath. "Arthur," I begun, though was cut off by the man sat beside me, "Joker," he corrected. God that name was chilling.

I shook my head, "Joker", I corrected sarcastically before continuing. "We have to talk about us," I continued, speaking again quickly once he opened his mouth to protest. "We aren't working, this new thing isn't working. Perhaps the man I fell in love is still down there, deep and hidden away," I began my ramble, placing my hands gently on his cheeks and gazing deep into his eyes which showed glimmers of sorrow and perhaps even regret.

"He isn't here currently. You.. you are not my sweet Arthur, the struggling man I fell for who helped me smile, helped me see the purity and sweetness in the world," I said, before rising to my feet, ignoring a quick help of protest and desperate grab from the Joker.

Arthur was there, he was gleaming through brighter than he ever had ever since his transformation. But it was too little too late.

There's nothing left to say now...

I walked to our room, a place of shared memories of paradise which seemed only like a daydream to me now as I grabbed a bag and started packing my things, ignoring the blurring of my vision as hot tears gathered in my eyes.

"Y/N..." He sounded soft now, vulnerable and afraid and my heart strings tugged as I tried to ignore his pleas, his attempts to get me to stay.

I'm giving up...

The joker would always silence Arthur, one way or another, there is no way he could stay in control and for that reason I was leaving specifically.

My shoulder brushed past him as he stood in the way of the apartment door and I gripped the handle, turning back to the broken man who stood behind me.

His eyes begged me to stay but the snarl that's began to curl on his lips ushered me away. I knew I wouldn't have long to escape before his other identity would have me destroyed.

I turned the handle, shut the apartment door and left with the few items I had with me, tears streaming down my face as I heard loud, haunting laughter from Arthur- no, the Joker's apartment.

I'm giving up now...