Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Liam motions to the tent, and Harry scrambles up. He curls in on himself and limps out, taking slow, easy steps, trying to convince them that he is injured.

"He's crippled! He's literally limping!" A soldier cries out.

"You mean to tell me if the rest of you were whipped like this, you'd still be able to keep fighting?" Liam pulls Harry forward and turns him around, pulling up his shirt. Earlier that day, Liam told him he needed to assess any wounds he found on him and ended up covering over several spots on his back. Liam told him they weren't too bad, but it'd be a problem if they got dirty, so it's better to be safe and keep them covered. Since Harry couldn't see the damage and Liam wouldn't get off his ass about it, he went along with it. Now it makes sense.

The rest of the company whisper among themselves. The sergeant scoffs. "You don't believe this shit, do you?"

Harry speaks up, "Listen, I understand if the rest of you don't like the way I've been acting recently. With Niall and going against you all, I get it. But I hate to see people's lives go to waste, and I could see how much Niall has changed since we brought him here. He was weak in the beginning, but he got stronger, and I thought he'd be vital to have as a member of our company. I didn't mean to make it seem like I was bringing in the enemy to destroy us from the inside out, but bringing in a converted comrade to aid us in winning this war."

Liam steps back and nods a little, "See? He's not corrupt or weak like our old leader. He will do everything to keep up together and strong throughout the rest of the war. I nominate Harry to be our new corporal."

"All right, that's enough." Sergeant Collins steps forward. "This is ridiculous. The next in line for corporal position is me, so I don't care for this democracy shit you two are pulling."

"Why don't we let them decide?" Liam wagers, and Harry looks back at him. He doesn't believe this company will actually choose him over their sergeant no matter the uplifting speech he just gave.

"Fuck this. I'm the next corporal." Sergeant Maddox declares.

Well," One of the men in the center speaks up. "I don't think you're in a position to say that. Only the corporal can decide that."

"I'm the next corporal! Rules are rules!"

"I've never heard of that rule!" Another man calls out.

"Yeah, I think you're just saying that because you want to be leader." Someone else adds.

"Come on! You really think Mr. I-love-everyone here will make a good leader? He would just let the enemy overrun us if he was in power! At least I know how to lead!"

Liam cuts in firmly, "If you're so good at leading, why didn't you lead that march today? Why'd you make Horan do it?"

"Because that was the corporal's plan!"

"The corporal was a pussy, and so are you. An innocent life was lost because of you and the old corporal." Liam hisses, before raising his voice. "If you're corporal, it'll be just like the old corporal is still in charge. Nothing will change!"

Harry steps forward, "Listen, everyone." The whole company turns toward him, and he feels slightly intimidated by all their eyes on him. "We can still take a vote. Please, I do not want anymore conflict. We should be fighting the enemy, not each other! If you vote for him to lead, I won't object."

The company falls silent for a moment, and then, finally, a man from the back yells out, "If you vote for Styles, say I."

Most of the men harmonize together as they vote in favor of Harry. Harry's heart clenches.

The man calls out again, "If you vote for Collins, say I."

A few more men chorus, but they are much more hesitant and there are much fewer voices.

Liam snickers, "I think that settles it. Collins, you put up a good fight, but I believe your place as sergeant is just right for you."

"No! This is such bullshit! Just this morning you all hated Styles and everything he stood for, but suddenly he's won you over again?"

"Collins, just go back to being sergeant, all right?"

"Fuck you, Payne. I'd rather just leave than stay another night with these two-faced traitors."

"Then leave." Liam tells him.

"Fine then." Sergeant Collins returns his saber before stalking into the corporal's quarters. He collects a few things before walking out of the camp without looking back.

In his absence, Liam taps Harry on the back. When Harry turns, Liam sends him a smile and then returns to the medical tent.

Harry turns back toward his comrades and calls, "Everyone go off to bed. I will see you all at breakfast tomorrow."

The men nod before dispersing, not even questioning why there is no dinner. They're too worn out from the fight to even worry about their hunger.

Harry turns around and enters the medical tent again. Niall and Louis are both asleep, and Liam looks as if he's ready to go to bed as well.

"Well, Corporal Styles," Liam jokes, "that went well."

"Too well. Why do they suddenly trust me again?"

Liam shakes his head, "They never distrusted you. You just thought because of your friendship with Niall that they thought you were a traitor, which isn't true."

"Some of them did. Some of them told me I was a traitor."

"And the lot of them aren't here anymore because they were dumb. They were too caught up in other people's problems that they ended up forgetting this is a war, not a pissing match."

"Yeah," Harry looks over at Niall, his face dark in the dimly lit tent. "I guess they forgot to worry about their own life, too."

Liam sighs, "It's been a long day. Why don't you go off to bed? We can figure out all this corporal shit in the morning."

"What about Niall?" Harry inquires, stepping closer to his cot.

"He'll be fine, Harry. You need your rest too." Liam assures. Harry doesn't seem convinced. "I'll come get you if anything happens, alright? He'll probably just sleep through the night, so there's no point in you staying up."

"I won't be able to get to sleep, so what's the point?"

Liam rolls his eyes, "You need to rest so you can keep your strength up to be corporal. Now that you're in charge, you can make whatever changes you want. Including accepting previously known enemies as allies in our company."

Harry's lips turn up slightly, "Right."

"Go on. You get to sleep in a real bed from here on out. Enjoy it, why don't ya?" Liam teases again.

"You're never gonna stop with this now, are you?" Harry questions rhetorically. Liam nods his head with a smirk. "Just because I'm corporal now doesn't mean I want any special treatment. I'm still a soldier, just like everyone else here."

"Another reason you're the perfect corporal."

Harry shakes his head in disapprovement. "Fine, I'll sleep in the corporal's quarters tonight. If it means I can get away from you can your leader jokes, I'll take it."

"Good. I thought that'd work on you." Liam chuckles. "Good night, Corporal Harry."

"Night, Nurse Liam."

Liam gasps, "How dare you?"

"You asked for it."