6 | Of Lassies and Cows

Start from the beginning

He stood there rather smugly with his arms folded across his chest. He was sizing me up like a piece of meat and I didn't like that feeling. I quickly looked around to see if there was anyone else nearby, but we were alone. Perhaps if I screamed, Mistress Campbell might come to my aid, but then I remembered that to the captain I was mute. I supposed I should find some small comfort in the fact that I was at least dressed appropriately for this time period.

Randall reached out and tugged one of my blonde locks. I instinctively backed away from him, but his hand snaked behind my neck and pulled me against him. I struggled to get free and his grip tightened. "Now, now," he hissed. "I do believe we haven't been properly introduced. Ruth is it? That is what you told Mistress Campbell, is it not?"

My eyes widened. His expression would hardly qualify as a smile considering how smug and cruel it was. "Yeah, that's right. I heard you. Not mute after all, are you?"

I tried to push him away, but he held on tighter.

"And that accent isn't one from around these parts," he continued. "Where exactly are you from?"

Damn my bloody American accent. It was always getting me into trouble. But it wasn't like I could tell him where I was from. The country didn't even exist yet. My breath hitched momentarily, the words wouldn't come out.

"Well? I'm waiting..." His grip around my throat tightened.

"The colonies," I gasped as he began to apply more pressure with his thumb, almost crushing my windpipe.

Given his expression, I wasn't sure if he believed me. But he patted my cheek and I was able to take a good breath. "Good girl," he said, but I knew the words weren't meant in praise. They were because I had done as he said. "But if I find out you're lying there will be worse things coming. Now, why would Mistress Campbell lie for you?"

To protect me from you, I thought but didn't express the words out loud. He ran his thumb over my lips. I tried to keep my lips clamped together, but his thumb broke through. "Don't bite," he hissed as his thumb traced my cheek, leaving a dirty taste in my mouth. I wanted to spit after he removed his thumb from my mouth, but that would likely only make matters worse. I needed to lull him into a false sense of ease and then make a break for it. I needed to calm myself.

Randall narrowed his eyes at me. "Perhaps you are a druid. A witch. In which case, that makes you a whore."

I lifted my left hand, trying to show him my ring. While Stephen was dead in my time. I doubt he could have heard my confession inside Mistress Campbell's house. Everything he had mentioned so far, I had told her on our journey to her home.

But my attempt only made Randall laugh. He then pulled me closer to him and whispered in my ear. The warmth of his breath made me uncomfortable. "Being married doesn't mean you aren't a whore. Now, if you'd like to avoid being burned at the stake, druid, give me what I want. Payment must be made."

I didn't have to be told what he wanted. It was quite obvious. He wanted from me what he was expecting from Mistress Campbell. For a moment, I stopped struggling to let him think that I had given up, that I was going to give him what he wanted. He pulled his face away from my ear and grinned at me. It was a horrid expression, a sight I wished I could unsee.

He lifted my trembling chin with one finger, forcing me to look him in the eyes. His expression was icy lust. I had never seen such a combination in my life and I didn't like that it was directed at me. I slowly lifted my skirts as he leaned in to force his lips upon me. I then struck him hard in the groin with my knee, causing him to double over, giving me a chance to flee.

I had bested Randall this time. There was no hope of me doing it again. I sprinted as fast as I possibly could toward the trees, holding my skirts as high as I could. Perhaps I might be able to climb one and lose him. I knew better than to look back. It would only slow me down.