9 | Return to Leoch

It took longer than expected for us to reach Leoch. I'm sure I was a dreadful sight to behold, but it wasn't as if I had proper access to materials for much personal hygiene. I was however better smelling than the men. Lack of hygiene was going to be a change now that I was living in the 18th century. Although, I was certain that there were some modern things I could manage to get away with, like brushing my teeth regularly. I ran my tongue against my teeth, quite in need of some sort of toothbrush. If I could disinfect two men's wounds thus far without raising suspicion, surely I could manage to implement a bit more cleanliness. At least for myself.

By the time we reached Leoch, my grip on Jamie had slightly loosened; but his grip on me remained firm. While my muscles ached and I still did not enjoy being atop a horse, I found it rather nice pressed against Jamie for warmth and his arm wrapped tightly around my waist. I blushed at how much I was enjoying it. I could practically hear Lottie's voice in my head teasing me about the handsome rugged Highlander holding onto me. I wouldn't have minded her teasing. I felt myself beginning to choke up at the thought of Lottie, but I didn't want to look weak in front of all these men. That was the last thing I needed. So, I held it all in knowing that at some point the dam would eventually break.

It was strange to see Leoch in its glory. While I still easily recognized it, it severely contrasted with the Leoch I remembered. The Leoch I would one day visit, two hundred years from now. It was strange that my memories were in the past for me, but still very much in the future. An odd situation to be sure. And yet, I wouldn't change it. Despite missing my dearest friend, there was nothing left for me in my time. This was the opportunity I had long been longing for. It was an answer to my prayers. A strange answer to be sure, but an answer nonetheless.

I could be whoever I wanted here. I didn't need to be the orphaned widow in a foreign land with nothing to her name that people only pitied. Sure, I was still technically that exact same thing here, but this was a new adventure. One I eagerly awaited despite any heartache that remained undealt with. That is if I could manage to survive. I was going to need that history book if I was to somehow manage it. Meaning I would have to somehow find my way back to Mistress Campbell's place. But I had a feeling these men would not be too keen to let me go. Women were treated as property in this time period and some used as a sort of currency or a bargaining chip. As a foreigner, that is probably what I would become, a bargaining chip. Or some man's property. Just a small hurtle toward freedom. At least, I hoped it would be a small one.

We passed under the lintel inside Leoch. The place was very much alive in comparison to my last memory of it...or was it my future memory? I probably ought not to think about it otherwise I would likely drive myself mad.

"This is Leoch, Mistress Tallmadge," Jamie told me. "Home to the..."

"MacKenzies," I whispered the same time as him, remembering that from my trip with Lottie. I didn't mean for Jamie to hear me, but he must have because I could feel him tense behind me.

"How'd ye know that?" he asked me. His tone sounded much sterner than it had previously. He was likely suspicious of me, to begin with, and then I did that.

I mentally kicked myself for such a careless mistake. It was mistakes like that, which could cost me dearly. Thankfully, I could work calmly under pressure. My years in the medical field had taught me well. I took a breath and looked back at him over my shoulder. "Because you told me so nearly fifteen miles ago. Don't you remember?" I scoffed as if the answer were obvious. I then reached toward his head with one of my hands. "Maybe you hit your head harder than I originally thought..."

Jamie jerked his head and made some sort of noise I wasn't familiar with that seemed to dismiss my notion. "My head is fine," he responded.

"If you say so."