Part 13: Midnight in Seoul

Börja om från början

"You okay, baby?" Namjoon says helping me out of my coat.

"Yeah, this is um lavish."

"Producer Choi is what you would call a little extra but he's cool."

We leave our coats by the entrance and walk over to the bar where Jin is. Hoseok and Jimin disappear into the crowd. Next to Jin there's a tall woman with tan skin and short, curly hair. She's wearing a red bodycon dress that showcases her well-defined curves. She's so beautiful it's kind of intimidating.

"Hey lovebirds, let me introduce you to my matchmaker," he says pointing to her.

"Hi, I'm Aimee," she says extending her hand. Her soft, motherly tone doesn't match her appearance at all.

"I'm Namjoon and this is my girlfriend, Eleanor."

"Nice to meet you, Aimee," I say shaking her hand.

"Aimee is here to assess my social interactions, not as my date!" Jin says carefully.

"Strictly work," she says as if trying to convince herself more than us.

"Sure! We have to greet some people so we'll see you around," Namjoon says as we start walking away.

I meet Producer Choi and his wife first then I lose count of how many people I'm introduced to. We go around the room and everyone asks the same questions. How old are you? Where did you go to school? What are you doing in South Korea? How long are you staying?

I'm trying not to stumble over my words, nodding, and drinking champagne when I don't understand a single thing. It's quite exhausting. In contrast, Namjoon does it so gracefully smiling at the right time, knowing exactly when to move on, evading questions by answering with another question. He must be used to doing this all the time.

"Can I borrow Namjoon for a second? I need his opinion on something," Producer Choi says with a bubbly smile. I smile back at him.

"Sorry," Namjoon mouths before being dragged away.

I try to find Jimin and Hoseok but they're talking to a group of girls. I spot Aimee, she's talking to this much older man but as soon as we lock eyes she waives at me like we're friends who haven't seen each other in a long time. I wave back.

"Hi," she walks toward me. "Walk with me please, this man is not getting that I'm not interested," She says intertwining her arm through mine.

"Yeah of course,"

"Where's your boyfriend?" She says heading to the bar.

"Helping Producer Choi with something? I don't really know," I shrug.

"Ah men, I lost Jin a while ago."

"I'm sorry, I guess that makes your job more difficult," We sit by the bar. I have another glass of champagne. Aimee orders a whiskey on the rocks. I have mad respect for this woman now.

"Don't be! His mother is paying me double," she raises her glass in my direction and we toast to that.

We bond over being foreigners in Korea and the fact that we're the odd ones out at this party.

"Serious question, how do you know people are a good match?" I ask.

"It takes some science, seeing how people act and behave around each other. And sometimes you just know, a six sense I guess you could call it." She pauses to finish her whiskey. "Do you want to know what I think about you and Namjoon?"

Oh finally, I am dying to know!

"Umm, I don't know," I hesitate.

Oh come, Eleanor, you know you want to know too!