Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"She should be in a hospital, not tied up in a grungy pub," Bakugo snarled, showing touching concern. For him, at least.

"I can grab aspirin from a pharmacy, if you work out what we're going to feed them," Dabi eventually sighed to the warp villain. Maeve's shoulders drooped slightly in disappointment, but she accepted that was the baseline for negotiations.

"Could you pick up some contact lens solution if you're already going to the pharmacy? How long will I be here? If it's more than a few days I'll need a lot of medication for other stuff."

Why was taking care of the prisoners more frustrating than capturing them in the first place? Dabi just groaned, picked up the notepad and pen, and raised his eyebrows at Maeve expectantly. She rattled off a list of about 15 different drugs the girl assured him were all over the counter.

"Anything else?" He asked sarcastically.

"I mean, pants and a new shirt would be nice. The top would need to be just as covering as this one. I'm a size extra small. I know, it's hard to believe, but looks can be deceiving. 7 shots of espresso would also be appreciated. Do you want anything, Love Muffin?" Maeve croaked, giving Bakugo a crooked grin. It was undermined slightly by the tissues sticking out of her nostrils.

"Just wait until I get out of these restraints," he hissed, straining against them.

"Aw, snookums, you know you love me really," she cooed, throwing him a wink and kissy lips.

"He'll need some therapy and emotional suppressants," Maeve grinned to Dabi. The villain ignored her, turning to Kurogiri.

"Drop me at my place, I'll need to get changed. Then open a gate onto block 134 in Musatafu from there in 15 minutes."

Kurogiri bowed slightly and a portal opened in one of the walls. Dabi disappeared through, his ripped coat billowing dramatically behind him. The silence left in his absence was deafening.

"So, anyone know any good jokes?" Maeve asked eventually.

***

"The nation is reeling after yet another attack on UA high school earlier this evening. The group responsible for all, known as 'League of Villains,' invaded a summer camp for the two first-year heroics classes. 15 students are reported to be in critical condition thanks to one villain's gas attack. 11 have injuries of varying degrees. Of the six pros at the scene, one has a severe head injury and another is missing. The student Katsuki Bakugo, who gained first place at UA's sports festival earlier in the year, and Recovery Girl are in the League of Villain's custody. There have so far been no ransom demands."

Dabi paused on the street beside the announcement, pulling his hoodie down further over his face.

"Recovery Girl, best known for her work in combating cancer, is responsible for changing the lives of almost 15,000 patients in her career."

An image of Maeve in her traditional lab coat sitting with a bald little girl in a hospital gown flickered onto the screen. She was caught in mid-laugh, looking at the kid like they were her entire world. Obviously unaware photographs were being taken, the grey-haired girl's eyes were crinkled in happiness and she looked much younger than now, although it couldn't have been taken more than a few months ago.

It was replaced with exactly the same scene, except the same brat now had a full head of hair. Maeve was pulling it into the shittiest bun he'd ever seen and made a goofy face at the camera as if to apologise for that being the only style she could manage. The girl was crying, apparently from happiness, and leaning on Maeve's shoulder. She clutched the newly grown locks of hair like they were spun out of gold.