chapter 1 - she returns [EDITED]

CHAPTER ONE

She Returns

Abbie Bain looked outside the window as darkness enveloped her world. She always loved how the glow of the city lights illuminated the night sky. Once she'd taken in the magnificent view, she glanced at the magazine in her hands. It was a column featuring her titled 'Rising Architect'. The young lady could hardly contain her excitement. The thought of Danny seeing this and praising her ran through her mind.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent, please make sure your seats and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins. Thank you."

Finally!

Her emotions were jumbled. She was happy to finally see him again, but her fear overshadowed her excitement.

She closed the magazine and put it inside her bag. She fastened her seat belt and leaned back in her chair, clutching the armrest as she did so. No matter how many times she flew on a plane she couldn't get rid of her phobia of air travel. The thought of crashing was always on her mind, and reading a list of deadly air disasters right before spotting her magazine article didn't help.

Why would there be a magazine like that given out on airplanes? Freaking sadists.

"Flight attendants, prepare for landing please."

"Cabin crew, please take your seats for landing."

Oh my god, here it comes...

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to touch down at the Los Angeles International Airport. Please make sure your seat belt is securely fastened if you haven't already done so. The flight attendants are currently going down the aisles to make a final compliance check and pick up any remaining cups and glasses. Thank you."

Abbie looked around and noticed a flight attendant coming by. She handed her cup to the stewardess, her hands trembling all the while. At times like this, she was reminded of a near-death experience from when she was just ten years old. The trauma she'd experience so long ago was still ingrained within her even then.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

Try thinking of something else. Something cheerful and positive.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Los Angeles International Airport. The local time is 7.00 PM and the temperature is 45° Celsius ."

"For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your safety belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about. At this time, you may use your cellular phones if you wish."

"Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight."

"If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you."

"On behalf of Eminent Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice night!" The flight attendant continued to recite this in a scripted voice.

Abbie opened her eyes slowly.

Am I still alive?

She heaved a sigh of relief.

I'm safe!

Abbie glanced outside. It was pitch black. Only a handful of stars provided the nearest inkling of light.

Beautiful.

With the difficult part of the journey over, Abbie was now solely filled with positive energy at the thought of seeing him again. She unfastened her seatbelt, got up, and made her way to the exit

"Have a good night. "

Abbie's eyes darted over to a hostess who was full of smiles. It was she who had provided such a heartwarming farewell.

How can she smile like that?

This sheer disregard for possible death always impressed Abbie. To think these people did this sort of thing for a living every single day and night. She nodded in gratitude to the flight attendant and scampered down to the terminal.

I need to hurry

She never in her dreams did she think she'd be coming back. She was ecstatic at the thought of how happy he'd be to see her, how he'd hold her tightly in his embrace. She rushed through the baggage claim and towards the exit. She glanced around frantically, hoping to catch sight of Kevin, her best friend, and ex-lover among the throngs of other travelers.

Abbie soon locked eyes with a tall man. He had golden blonde hair, green eyes, and a strong jawline. It made women swoon over him, and even then Abbie could spot some other females giving him much more than a cursory glance. She waved her hand at him and rushed over, dragging her luggage along as she did.

"Kevin!" She called out.