The Immortals: Chapter 1

Eques’ point of view

I soared through the sky, my tawny wings flapping steadily. I spotted her house, swooping down into the forest right on the edge of the property. From the thick branch I landed in, my usual spot, I could see the window of her room perfectly. I sat down, bringing my knees up to my chest, resting my chin on them. I slipped on the jacket in my hands over the wings, shivering slightly at the cold. Winter was not a merciful season. Sighing, I watched as the girl flitted around the room, dancing to a song I could hear faintly with my keen ears. It was one I’d never heard of, but the tune seemed hypnotic and full of sharp beats. I watched her as she lay down on her bed. A small sigh escaped my lips. I’d been doing this for almost a year; every day I would fly down, sit on this branch, and watch the girl of my dreams do her daily routine. Now, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t a pervert; I looked away respectfully when she was changing. I just could never approach her, so what else could I do but watch?

I felt the wind of Ascensio as his jet black wings cut through the air silently, landing on the branch next to me. His eyes bored into the side of my head, his face no doubt full of disapproval. I looked over to him, meeting his eyes with a proud defiance.

“Yes?” I asked, knowing what he was going to say.

“This is unhealthy, Eques. Watching her all day, don’t you think that’s kind of demented? She needs to lead her own life, without the prying eyes of one of us.” Acensio’s eyes darkened with of pity, and I glared at him.

“But I love her! And I need not your pity, brother.” I spat, getting up. I took of my jacket, unfolding my wings after making sure the girl was preoccupied. I couldn’t afford for her to see me.

“Brother, please, I-“Ascensio’s words were cut off as I soared up into the air with a leap, my wings flapping furiously higher and higher into the sky. When the air began to thin and my breathing became slightly harder I slowed down, gliding just above the cloud line. I flew for hours, until my simple cloth shorts became wet from the cloud moisture. I stopped in place, my hands making the symbol of my home. I whispered the words under my breath, though there was nobody close enough to hear me.

“Cursum perficio; my journey is over.”

As I was transported home, I wondered when we had to change the traveling password to Latin and English, instead of just Latin. We certainly didn’t need a translator. I chuckled at the thought of the Custos needing a translation of our original language to a language so simple as English.  I folded my 10 foot wings back onto my back as I walked down the marble road, my sandals clacking against the surface. Murmurs of ‘welcome back, brother’ chorused as I walked into the city entrance, and the guards bowed respectfully, their matching gold and brown wings folding out.

“Your gracious, Lord Imperator has asked for your presence in his room.” The guard on the left spoke, straightening up. 

I nodded. “Thank you, Apparitor.” I said, continuing on through the gates. Light flooded the city from the bright orbs floating far above our heads, making the gold stone of Regnum’s buildings shine like the sun. I smiled as I walked briskly towards the palace. The palace guards opened the doors, bowing. I nodded and continued on and up to a large, dark wooden door. I knocked.

“Come in Eques.” A deep voice called from behind the door, and I pushed them open, strolling into the room.

“Yes, father? You called for me?” I asked, sitting on a cushioned bench in the large bedroom.

My father folded his arms, looking down at me sternly. “I heard you had gone below to talk to that girl again. We are immortals, son, and as king I cannot have my son behaving this way! She is but a human! Are there no immortals worthy of your eyes?”

I glared back. “None at all, Father. I sense it, she is the one! She may be human, but she is different! I can’t even talk to her! Please Father; let me keep the one thing that keeps me happy in this life. She’ll die eventually, just let me watch over her for now.” My eyes were pleading now, I could not let this girl go.

My father sighed. “You don’t even know her name. But you have a point; she is but a human, and she will die sooner than later. Leave my presence; go do something useful, in the city! The Below is not a place we are meant to dawdle at.” With a wave of his hand, I rushed out of the room and into my chamber. I sighed, nestling into my covers of my purple bed; the color of royalty. The trips to the earth surface took a lot of energy, and I could feel my eyes become heavier. After a few moments, I succumbed and let sleep overtake me, to dreams of her.

~~~~

Hey guys, I’m just kind of going with this story, so I hope you like it. Oh, and all the slanted words, except for ‘talk’ during Eques’ and his father’s conversation are Latin words. I’m not telling you what they mean though, you’ll have to search that up yourself ;) Hope you like the story ^^

Comment? Vote? Fan? Please?

~Lion