I'll ask Ash to keep an eye on Dani when I'm away, just to make sure she's ok.

As I hopped into my truck, I opened my cell and dialed Dani's number. She didn't pick up; she never does. So I left a message, "Dani, I'm sorry if I upset you. I'm leaving in the morning so I'd like to come round tonight, just to make sure you're ok. I'll pick up dinner on my way in and I'll see you in a half hour or so."

I didn't leave it open to discussion. I didn't want her to worm her way out of me visiting her. I know that's not very polite, but let's be honest, she's never going to actually choose to be in my company. If I can make her see that it's not so bad, maybe she'll just get used to having me around.

I picked up pizza on the way to her house and as I knocked on Dani's door, I said, "Sweetheart, it's me. Can you open up? I have pizza."

I heard all the locks slide out of their keepers and then I heard the chain slide. Dani looked shocked to see me, maybe she hadn't picked up my message. I quickly said, "I left a voicemail for you. Didn't you get it?"

"No sir." She always whispers, like she's afraid to talk.

"Oh, I thought you would have heard it. Do you mind if I come in? This box is getting a bit hot."

She quickly moved into the living room and grabbed a jumper. I noticed her hair was wet, she must have been in the shower. I also noticed scars on her upper arms and shoulders. They look pretty nasty. Maybe they have something to do with the way she acts. She puts on her jumper before my eyes can linger on the scars too much.

"I can dish your food if you'd like to take a seat."

"It's ok, sir. I can do it."

She jumped up and quickly busied herself. I needed to start talking again; I know she's feeling uncomfortable, I can feel it. I think when I talk it helps her to know where I am. I bit like how a bat sees I guess.

"How was work? Anything interesting happening?"

"Nothing more than usual, sir. The Captain keeps asking me to join your team..."

"I know. He's mentioned it to me a number of times. How do you feel about that?"

She just shrugs, so I continue, "You've got quite a talent for computers, Dani. I've never seen anyone pull up the whole of NYC's street cams as quickly as you did. I think the Captain just wants to utilise your talent so we have an upper hand on the bad guys. You don't have to make a decision just now. Just think about it, ok?"

"Yes sir."

She put my plate on the counter and slid it to me, making sure she didn't come anywhere near me or touch me, even by accident. I could see her eyeing a book that was on my side of the counter, so I asked, "Did I stop you reading?"

"No sir."

"I so did, didn't I? It's ok, you can read. I just wanted to check on you and spend some time with you because I'm leaving in the morning."

I slid the book to her and smiled, letting her know it was ok. The corner of her mouth twitched slightly before it fell again. She whispered, "I've just got a little bit to go. It won't take me long, honest."

"It's cool. Can I put a game on while you read please?"

She nodded, so I settled on the couch and put the TV on. Dani sat on the chair nearest the door and the furthest away from me, like she was looking for an escape route. Out of the corner of my eye I watched her read. Her eyes flew across the page faster than anything I've ever seen. I couldn't help but stare, so when she whispered, "Sorry sir, I'll stop reading." I jumped and then blushed slightly. She'd caught me staring. "Why do you need to stop reading?"