Chapter 34: Old Man

Madara sat on his quaint little porch about a year later. There had been quite a mess in between. A war had broken out and ended, marriages had taken place, and people had moved on with their lives. Madara was content with where he was in life. He was known by everyone as Grandpa Madara and had already been godfathered to several kids in the village.

Madara smiled as he saw Shisui and a young woman walk past. Shisui had become an important figure in the village. He was a good counselor to the Hokage, worked in restoring old books and knowledge, and was dead set on finding a wife for himself. He had grown quite a bit in the year since Madara's defeat. He was powerful, could talk to anyone, and Madara was honestly surprised he didn't have a wife yet.

Shisui looked up and waved. He nodded to woman and ran up the steps to the porch. He turned and popped down next to Madara.

"Hey Gramps," Shisui smiled, taking in the corner of the village Marada lived in. "How's it going?"

Madara smiled. Shisui was the most careful in making sure Madara felt a part of the village. "Same as usual. What about you? Who was the pretty lady?"

Shisui grinned. "She's from the Miyuki clan," he explained. "She's really sweet. She also doesn't seem to mind me saying stupid things randomly. What luck, am I right?"

Madara laughed, putting an arm around the younger Uchiha's shoulders. "Shisui, we all know you could have any woman in the village. Just pick one already before the broken hearted decide that talking to me about it isn't enough anymore and they decide to kidnap you!"

Shisui laughed. "I don't really think that will be the case, but I'll hurry. I really think this girl is the one."

"I'm glad," Madara smiled. "I just wish I had your energy. I've got this second chance, but I don't have the speed and grace needed to chase down the opposite gender."

Shisui laughed with Madara as Araya came into view. "You! Idiot!" Araya yelled, hands on her hips. "Lord Naruto's looking for you! You'd better hurry. I heard yelling coming from his office."

Shisui sighed. He patted Madara's shoulder as he stood up. "Duty calls. It's probably that crazy old cat lady from the village hidden in the Sand. I'll talk to you tonight. We're having dinner tonight, right?"

Madara nodded and smiled. "I'll be sure to make your favorites this time since I did Araya's last time."

"That was really good, Old Man," Araya said, eyes misting as she remembered the food. Madara had proven to be a good cook. "Can't wait till it's my turn to choose again."

Madara smiled as the two waved and wandered off. Madara slowly stood up, stretching. He started trekking through the village. He saw the young and old, all comfortably living. Madara still got some glares from the men of the more fiery temperament, but he just nodded in return and passed by calmly.

Many called out a warm welcome when they saw Madara pass. He took a deep breath. He really enjoyed all this. He loved the calm and the peace that he felt. He couldn't even imagine why he had wanted to cause so much pain in his 'first life.'

"Old man!" called a familiar voice. "How are you!"

Madara turned to see Itachi. The old man waited for the ninja to catch up. Itachi was the head of the ninja academy and went on missions of diplomacy now, mostly. He seemed less aged and was rather quick to smile these days. He had a home and Araya to go to every day and a much better life now.

"Hey, young one," Madara greeted. "Are you coming to dinner tonight?"

Itachi nodded with a smile. "No way am I going to miss that! Shisui requested some of my favorite food too."