Chapter 23: Kuro Celebrates

Itachi's POV

I wasn't sure about this whole festival thing, anymore. Oro seemed excited for it but I felt a curl of anxiety in my stomach every time it was mentioned. After all, I hadn't really been welcomed into the village, I'd almost been glared to death, and hadn't talked to anyone. Okay, maybe that last one was my fault. Still, the festival was celebrating the end of the Fourth Great Shinobi War and I had to admit that I had been instrumental in its end. There was no way I was going to get out of this without getting attention.

Oro noticed me fidgeting as he writing notes about healing and chakra. He had been working really hard to try to solve his chakra and get back into the game.

"What's wrong, Crow?" the snake asked, looking vaguely worried.

I sighed. Why did Oro have to be so good at telling that I was upset. "I'm not sure I want to go to the festival. I've just got a bad feeling."

"Ah, want to stay hidden," Oro nodded, setting his pen down. "What I have to say to that is, Live a little! We can't hide forever. At some point we have to integrate back into society. Might as well be now."

"I just don't feel like going," I said, wishing I could be excited. I really had a bad feeling about it. Too bad I couldn't just drop years of habitual hiding.

Oro got up and punched my shoulder. "It'll be fine, Itachi. You're brother and that blonde numbskull will take up all the attention so you and I will hide perfectly fine. Plus, I think Araya will be disappointed if you didn't show up."

I scoffed. As if the beautiful, angry female would care about me at all. She had actually been a mystery to me. Every time I was around her my stomach jumped and twisted and I could only imagine what it would be like to hold her hand, to touch her face and hair. She was so powerful and loud, though. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to get close enough to her to do such things.

I shook my head. Since when had I ever thought about girls? I blamed Oro. Stuff is usually his fault.

"We'd best start getting ready for the festival," I said, trying to cover and brush away the thoughts that had run through my head.

Oro rolled his eyes as if I was hopeless. "Fine. Whatever."

I watched as Oro vanished into the bathroom. I stood and pulled out my new robes. It had been a very, very long time since I had worn something like this. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I had worn something like this. I shrugged into the layers of cloth and wasn't even halfway done when Oro walked out of the bathroom, fully dressed. Stupid skilled snake.

"Do you need help?" Oro asked, barely concealing a snicker as I fought the robes.

I shook my head angrily and Oro shrugged. "I'm going out, then," the snake said. "I was planning on hanging out with Matsuko before the festival. Don't get kidnapped between now and then."

"Have fun then," I said limply, wishing Oro would leave so I could go on wrestling with my clothing in peace.

"Oh, I will." Snake left and I eyed the lengths of fabric, ready to renew the fight now that I didn't have a witness to my struggle.

About ten minutes later, after declaring to the room that this was as good as it was going to get, I grabbed my sandals and left the house. I hoped I could find the others before the crowds got too thick.

I turned a corner and bumped into someone with black hair. Sasuke backed up from me, cutting halfway through an apology. He stared at me before breaking out into hysterical laughter.