Chapter Eleven

"Are you depressed?" The doctor asked as he flashed a light into my eyes.

"No" I said at once.

Of course I was lying.

Another pill, was the last thing I wanted.

I mean, who wouldn't, when her only best friend was avoiding her for a reason she didn't have even the simplest clue of.

-And when your weak heart is dying for a man you barely know?

"Do you sleep well?" He asked again as he finally let down the flashy thing out of my sight.

I nodded confidently.

Even though the dark circles, were betraying my confidence.

The doctor chuckled a little before instructing the nurse to keep an eye on me at night.

I didn't have the strength to protest, so I just sighed and laid down on the bed.

As usual, my mind didn't allow me to sleep peacefully while it travelled far far away and ended up on Jane.

Yes Jane.

This time, I wasn't going to get wiped away by her lame excuses.

I got out of my bed intently, and changed myself into clean clothes and walked out of the room with a steady mind.

****

First I knocked innocently on her door, and then banged loudly on it when she didn't answer it.

The nurses who were passing my threw me suspicious looks while I brushed them away and kicked the door with my foot.

To my surprise, the door opened from the in side.

A nurse stared back at me impatiently.

"There is a knob, you know" she stated sternly and walked out of the room.

I was Damn happy to see Jane who was facing the bedside wall hugging her knees.

"JANE" I exclaimed as I walked deeper into her room.

She immediately turned to look at me, revealing a beaten up, miserable girl.

I gasped.

She wasn't the happy, cheerful, bubbly Jane I used to know..... she looked lifeless.

I closed the door shut and ran up to her.

"Jane, are you okay? What happened to you? Why didn't you come to meet me? Why wer-"

"-Emily" she cut me off, as she took both my hands in hers and squeezed them.

"-I'm scared" she said as she quivered.

"Jane, there's no reason for you to be scared. I'm here. Tell me. What happened?"

I saw fresh tears form in the corner of her eyes as she looked deep into my eyes.

"Tell me" I said again. It was painful for me to see her like this.

"Emily......I'm scared for him" She finally said as more tears streamed down.

"Why are you-"

"He has his operation tomorrow"

"So?" I prompted, even though I knew what she meant.

"I don't know what I'd do if something happens to him. Emily- what if-"

"Shhhh" I hushed her off as I stroked her messy hair.

"Nothing is going to happen to him, Jane. Have faith."

"You think so?" She asked as she stopped biting her lower lip.

I nodded reassuringly and closed in to give her a tight hug.

"He's going to be just fine. By the way, is that why you avoided me?" I lifted her head so I could see her face properly.

She shook her head obediently and said,

"It's because-"

"Because of what?" I asked carefully.

She closed her eyes as if to calm her down as she said,

"Emily... .,"

"I'm pregnant"

With that, she broke into a chain of sobs.

-To be continued