America

And just like that, the next morning, I find myself packing a small bag for my trip. I'll only be gone for a few days so I manage to pack a few outfits, my toiletries, a couple books, and my tech in one backpack. I figure I'll save time with security if this is my carry-on. My phone buzzes, alerting me to a call from my Mum.

     "Hey, Mum. You 'aright?" I say when I pick up.

     "I saw your text, you're going to America?! Why didn't you tell us earlier?" she shrills, I can tell the phone is way to close to her face, so I pull mine away from my face as I put my bag near the door.

     "I didn't really know earlier," I tell her as I lock my apartment and head to my car. "My friend sort of sprang it on me yesterday, but she really wants me to go and she thinks I need a holiday."

     "Well, she's right."

     "You too?" Even my Mum? Does everyone think I need to chill for a few days? It's like I'm the butt of a joke that the whole world is in on, and I've just wizened up to it.

     "Do I know this friend? Do I like her? Is it a 'her'? It better not be a boy!" she demands. I can imagine her standing with her hand on her hip and my Dad poking his head in the room because of her shouting about boys. She's a formidable lady and when she's made up her mind, you would hate to be on the receiving end of her wrath.

     "Yes, it's a her. It's Hailey, you remember her? I met her here a while ago." I sigh as I start my car to defrost the windows.

     "Oh! Hailey! I do like her. Well, I'll let you go, but I want you to call me just before you take off and after you've landed."

     "Mum, you'll be in bed. I'm getting in at an ungodly hour, I'll just-"

     "No, I don't care. You'll do as your mother tells you!" I roll my eyes, but smile.

     "Alright, will do. Love you."

     "Love you more! Bye, Gale."

     "Bye, Mum." I hang up and put my car in drive.

>< >< >< >< ><

   The day drags on and I slowly realize how badly I need this holiday. After a very uneventful day, by the time my shift ends, I'm practically buzzing with excitement to get out and travel. It's been ages since I've flown, and I love flying. I drive myself home with Kaden tailing me, we had made arrangements for him to take me to the airport and, eventually, to pick me up.

     I park and run into my apartment to change into something more comfortable and to grab my bag that I left by the door for convenience. I hurry back out and hop into Kaden's car.

     "Do you have everything?" Kaden asks, sounding very much like my mother.

     "Yes."

     "Are you sure? Because now is the last chance you have to make sure." I snort and wrinkle my nose at him.

     "Yes, I'm sure. I quadruple checked this morning, now drive." He shrugs and does as I say without another word.

     "Do you have mace?"

     "What? No, they wouldn't allow that on the plane, and also, what the bloody hell?" I look at Kaden incredulously.

     "You're going to America by yourself, Gale. I want you to be able to protect yourself." He shrugs again defensively, making me smile.

     "Kaden, America isn't dangerous," I remind him. He executes a turn and glances at me out of the corner of his eye.

     "No, but the people there are." He changes lanes and turns down a side road. "I don't trust them with you." I open my mouth to protest that I'll have Hailey with me, but he cuts me off, reading my mind. "I know you'll have your friend, but she's one person and there are going to be a ton of people at that concert."