The Big Ask

What? Did he do something wrong? Why would he think that? I furrow my brow and sit back down at the table with my phone. My fingers hover over the keyboard but don't move to type a response. I suppose before I answer his text I should have an answer myself.

Smiles...Harry has been nothing but kind to me. A little too kind for someone living in a completely different world than me. He had no reason to think we'd be anything more than strangers, so the immediate liking he took to me was a little strange, but not something I would consider "wrong."

What does he think he did wrong? No one asks if they've done something wrong without having something in mind already.

But, as far as I'm concerned, Smiles has done nothing wrong. In fact, he's done everything right. The playful banter, the warm, funny feeling I get around him, the new, eye-opening experiences. Nothing has ever felt so right.

So I look back down at my phone and bring my fingertips to the letters.

Not as far as I'm concerned. Now, as for everything else in your life, I can't say, because somebody said I wasn't allowed to google them. You could honestly be a serial killer in your spare time and I wouldn't know.

I stand up and return to the sink to finish washing my cup, setting my phone on the counter beside me as I do so. The second I finish drying and putting away the dishes, my phone chimes. I lean to pick it up a little faster than I'd like to admit.

Harry: Oh, yes, did I forget to tell you that? You wouldn't believe the number of bodies I keep in my closet.

Me: I don't believe you

Harry: And why is that?

Me: From what I hear, you've got too many clothes to fit anything else

Harry: Well, if you've been a good girl and are staying away from google, then where did you hear that?

I ignore the heat that rushes into my cheeks at that and clear my throat selfconsciously. Hailey talks about him all the time, and I usually tune her out because she's happy enough just to hear herself talk, but a few things filtered into my brain like the fact that this dude has worn some pretty outlandish outfits and changes them often.

I pull my bottom lip in between my teeth before responding.

Me: Remember that friend of mine?

Harry: I suppose she spilled all of my secrets then

Me: Don't worry, she has obsessions with so many people, I can hardly keep them straight. For all intents and purposes, let's just pretend I don't know anything

Harry: See that's great in theory, but what if I want you to know all of my secrets?

Me: So cruel! Tempting me when I can't look you up...tsk tsk

Harry: What ever shall we do about that?

Me: Oh, I don't know, what did you have in mind?

I blink in surprise at myself. I can't be flirting with him. Hailey would be devastated. And it's not as if he'd seriously consider being with me. Sure, he said I was pretty and wanted to text, but that was just because I intrigue him. He said he didn't have anyone like me in his life. He's just curious, it doesn't mean he would ever actually be serious about me.