Chapter 24

Nora Johannes

I smiled once I saw Hero take off his helmet and hand it to the person standing besides his car, his as-per-usual stern expression still sat on his face. He ignored everyone trying to talk to him except from Aj who was waiting not far from him, already delving into a conversation which was no doubt about his performance. Hero's race, the grand finals, were coming up in a couple of weeks and I knew the stress of it all was taking a toll on him.

"Hey baby." Hero grinned at me, shaking me from my trance as I blinked and quickly returned the smile. I hadn't even realised he had made it back up to the room. I move from around the couch and he hugs me tightly, kissing my forehead and holding his lips there for a few extra seconds before pulling away and chucking his duffle bag onto the couch.

Maddox yawned loudly as Cliff chomped down on his chips. "So, what's the plan for today, gang?"

Hero looks at him with a grimace. "Nora and I are going out. You all have to learn to be independent for fucking once." He rolls his eyes and I frown, just now being aware of our supposed plans.

"We are?" I questioned curiously, and Hero smiles and nods at me. He sits himself lazily down besides me and rests his head on my chest as I immediately begin to play with his hair.

"Yes, we are." He confirms, saying nothing else as I shrug and nod along. I'm sure he had something good planned.

Aj clears his throat, "We still have to go over some things, Hero. The actual race is only in a couple of weeks and Ryan fuckin' Miller is maybe transferring to our school tomorrow so you'll see him and you need to be prepared– no stupid fights, no–,"

"Hold up." Hero sat up abruptly, turning to look at me apologetically just for a second before turning to face his best friend with a serious look on his face. "Where the fuck did you hear this, and why the fuck is he transferring? He has no business here!"

"I'm your manager, dumb ass, I have to know these things. I have sources everywhere. Miller lives two hours away from where the big event is happening and we're the closest town to it. Heard his area is also full of shit and no good for racing so he's coming down here to practise. Obviously nobody but his team and, well, a few others know the real reason for his transfer– the school and his parents think it's 'cause the education is better here or some shit."

Hero scoffs. "He can't come here. He knows exactly what he's fucking doing and it'll mess up my game."

"It won't." Aj assures, raising his eyebrows. "We don't even know if it's guaranteed that he'll be going to Hillcrest. Just– I'll drive with you tomorrow back here after school and we'll talk things in detail. Anyone wanna get some fucking food with me?" (Disclaimer: I can't remember if I've mentioned the name of their high school so from now on it's called Hillcrest Memorial High school).

Immediately Cliff raises his hand, dropping the bag of chips onto the table, and Declan shrugs and raises his hand too. Soon enough Maddox joins and the four boys venture off and away, leaving Mason, Hero and I alone. I grab the chips from the table and wrap it up so no crumbs would spill and neatly put it in a cupboard.

"Do you have any plans, Mase?" I ask softly, going back to sit next to Hero. My head immediately lies on his shoulder and his arm is around me seconds later.

Mason nods, standing up and dangling his car keys as he stretches. "Gonna go spend some time with 'Ma, heard my uncles coming into town tonight so she wants some help getting the groceries and preparing dinner." I nod, smiling at him and sitting up for a moment to hug him goodbye. "Cya, Hero." Hero nods in acknowledgement and Mason makes his leave, leaving us two alone.