1. the news

Chapter 1.

Here you are. Watching the news. It's late about 12:30. You switch through the channels hoping to catch a good show. You are really picky because most of the time the tv only shows creepy stuff and boring channels. You like funny, positive comedy but no luck.

"No."
"No."
"No."

You continue to click the remote. But none of your channels seemed to show any good films.

"Crap!" 

You give up and fall back onto your bed. You didn't notice the TV was still on and continue to lie down. Until you heard something. Something that made you jump.

"Breaking news. Recently a lot of people have been dying in their sleep in the most mysterious ways."

You immediately sit up. You look at the screen with all your might as if you are having a staring contest. The woman continued "Most of the time the victims have lots of scars all over their bodies as if from a series of knives. No one is sure who the killer is."

You didn't know what to think. Your heart was racing from what seemed a rush of excitement and fear.

You were horrified. Can this be real? Why would someone broadcast something like this at night?! Is this some big joke? Or is there really some dude killing people.

You hoped it was a stupid joke. You turn off the tv and try to sleep. But for some reason, you just can't. Maybe it's your overprotective mind keeping you awake.

Hmm. You thought.  I'll just maybe go downstairs for a drink and get a knife. Then I'll feel safer. You thought the idea about the knife sounded stupid but your mind seemed to calm down after you thought of that.

You trot down the stairs in your favorite PJs. You pour yourself a glass of cool water and take a small sip before choosing a knife.

"Taking the biggest is too much. But a small one isn't any better. Crap."
You say to yourself.

You take a long thin knife and decide to use this one. Finishing your small drink you go up the stairs into your room. You feel safe now. By your bed was a small bed table with a little lamp. The little lamp itself gave out a very dim yellow and you decided to keep it on. You put the knife under the pillow so it won't hurt you and pull the covers over yourself in a position so that it would be easy to get up.

"Now I'm ready." 

You whisper confidently to yourself and drift to sleep.

                                                                                                                                        Date Published: July 14 2020                                                                                                                                               Date Proofread: April 24 2021