Recap

Hi, amazing reader people! There is an UPDATE coming your way soon, tonight if I can mange it. Since it's been five months...

STARLIGHT UNDER CLOUDS SYNOPSIS

Chapter I

Leon Kenhelm, foraging in the woods, comes across a wary cow, a survivor of the Wild Men attack. He leads it home, where a dragon is unexpectedly sitting by the door.

Jedediah Crayes has returned from his extensive travels and efforts to spy out the enemy's plans, and is dismayed to see the state of poverty to which Mordred's family has been reduced. He speaks with Mordred at length that evening, expressing (among other things) a desire to better their situation, which Mordred promptly negates.

 He speaks with Mordred at length that evening, expressing (among other things) a desire to better their situation, which Mordred promptly negates

The following morning, Jedediah Crayes visits Berethar and confronts him with his hidden Legean Association past. Berethar tells him the full story and waits for Jedediah Crayes to respond with some kind of censure or judgment. Jedediah Crayes responds, saying in effect that he thinks punishment is overdoing it, and that besides, he has no right to pass that kind of judgment on Berethar.

 Jedediah Crayes responds, saying in effect that he thinks punishment is overdoing it, and that besides, he has no right to pass that kind of judgment on Berethar

Chapter II

Orden is in a dangerous place defense-wise; though the Wild Men are mostly eradicated, the army has scant strength to stand against a second attack. King Henry and Captain Rhodes discuss the possibility of sending an ambassador to Enedhwin to ask about the mysterious "dead forest", and to request military aid.

Jedediah Crayes, arriving to drop off the dragon and pick up Meri, overhears this and suggests Berethar as the ideal choice for ambassador. Later he discusses with Mordred the need to get Berethar safe and far away, and Mordred expresses a desire to accompany Berethar to Enedhwin, saying that Berethar is afraid and needs someone with him.

Berethar is accepted as ambassador, but the king and council are skeptical of Mordred's request to be his companion, especially with Jedediah Crayes' evasions concerning his pedigree and social status. However, King Henry learns that he is the father of Derek and Douglas, and, seeing an avenue to redeem himself for not heeding the boys' counsel, agrees to let Mordred go.